Tarantula lighting requirements

MJInsoCal

Arachnopeon
What if any lighting requirements do tarantulas have? Some live in dark burrows, others under thick canopy of jungle foliage. Others, in spice jars, hidden in a glass display case in our office. How much if any lighting do they actually require? Thanks. Do they care if we light them up with LED strip lighting?

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Lighting is not necessary, and could become a problem if the light creates heat or if the light is bright and they have no good way to escape it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’ve never been convinced they don’t have lighting requirements. The only data I have is not direct unfortunately.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
I have always had my T's close to indirect sunlight. The only T I keep away from overly light areas is my H. Gigas, not sure if there is evidence but my gigas seems to react to light more so than any of my other T's.

I have never had a problem with any T due to light, just keep in mind some bulbs do emit heat which could be a problem in certain circumstances.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
None, they don't even require a day/night cycle, you could keep them in perpetual darkness if you wanted. They certainly don't seem to be affected by my screwy sleep cycles (I keep mine in my bedroom).

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I love the easy, unarguable questions. None.

ThatGuy83

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas are generally nocturnal, have poor vision, and use the hairs on their body to sense the environment around them. So light really isn't required. Most are photosensitive and will hide when there is light. I keep my collection in low to no light conditions so i can see them out more often. I do have LEDs but that is for me. I've also learned that T's cannot see red light very well, so I use that during enclosure maintenance and when I spy on them.

Last edited:

FrDoc

Arachnosupporter +
So lets argue the opposite :p Can an overly lit area be a concern? (LED lights, nothing that emits heat)
Nope. You’ll just never see your spider because it will stay in its hide/burrow/web house. This doesn’t apply to several of the terrestrials that don’t care that it’s light.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
The only time they need direct light is when they scape at night.

Last edited:

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Nope. You’ll just never see your spider because it will stay in its hide/burrow/web house. This doesn’t apply to several of the terrestrials that don’t care that it’s light.
I realize now that I used concern and it was the wrong word to use. Apologies English is not my 1st language but you did however indirectly answer my question. I was trying to ask something along the lines of what behavioral changes one would see in an overly lit area :) I fully agree on the fact that you would see your T less because from my experience certain T's like my H. Gigas seem to act much differently when exposed to light. I realize my example is horrible due to the pet rock experience most people have but my Gigas is actually out and about quite often. (Late nights)

FrDoc

Arachnosupporter +
I realize now that I used concern and it was the wrong word to use. Apologies English is not my 1st language but you did however indirectly answer my question. I was trying to ask something along the lines of what behavioral changes one would see in an overly lit area :) I fully agree on the fact that you would see your T less because from my experience certain T's like my H. Gigas seem to act much differently when exposed to light. I realize my example is horrible due to the pet rock experience most people have but my Gigas is actually out and about quite often. (Late nights)
First, I would never have guessed English was not your first language (as I didn’t look at you profile), but seriously your question was general but clear. Second, H. gigas is one of only a couple of fossorials I keep that exhibits no photosensitivity. I saw mine out and about last night and shined a torch directly on it, and as usual it didn’t budge. So, the OP’s question regarding light can be answered succinctly in that light, it’s presence or absence is of no benefit/detriment to the spider. However, many will exhibit their disdain of being exposed to light.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
First, I would never have guessed English was not your first language (as I didn’t look at you profile), but seriously your question was general but clear. Second, H. gigas is one of only a couple of fossorials I keep that exhibits no photosensitivity. I saw mine out and about last night and shined a torch directly on it, and as usual it didn’t budge. So, the OP’s question regarding light can be answered succinctly in that light, it’s presence or absence is of no benefit/detriment to the spider. However, many will exhibit their disdain of being exposed to light.
This is very entertaining since I am really of the opinion that my Gigas does not venture out as often when I had my Led's on her. I realize it could be for a number of reasons and it might be coincidence that the behavior changed at the time when I installed the lights.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to re-install the lights at her corner of the T room just as a little experiment. Would also be of great benefit to me since then I might be able to get a few good pictures :p

ErikElvis

Newb
Led lighting might be nice for something like a A Geniculata. But not necessary. I keep mine where they get enough light during the day to know it’s day and make sure lights are off at night. Besides me flash lighting them at 2am. They are more active in the dark.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
This discussion prompts me to ask the question: If I had LED lights on my T's and gave them a definite day/night cycle, during the day while the lights are on (and I'm at work) might the T's shun the lights and hide in their burrows all day, only to come out at night (when the lights are off and I'm at home) and be more active, hunting, exploring, digging, etc.?

Just did a quick Google search just for fun. Came across this article from a retailer recommending heat lamps and sponges in water dishes. It's not even old, came out in March of 2020.
How can a business be so wrong and stay in business?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dorifto

He who moists xD
This discussion prompts me to ask the question: If I had LED lights on my T's and gave them a definite day/night cycle, during the day while the lights are on (and I'm at work) might the T's shun the lights and hide in their burrows all day, only to come out at night (when the lights are off and I'm at home) and be more active, hunting, exploring, digging, etc.?
Yes and no. I have two 120cm fish tank dimmable led lighs, with a night and dat cycle, and my Ts barely notice the lights when thet are turned on, or when at night I light them with the flashligt. But of course, like every T, they are more active at night. If you have a photosensitive specie, it'd be better to not to use lights if you wanna have some chances to see your T.

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Yes and no. I have two 120cm fish tank dimmable led lighs, with a night and dat cycle, and my Ts barely notice the lights when thet are turned on, or when at night I light them with the flashligt. But of course, like every T, they are more active at night. If you have a photosensitive specie, it'd be better to not to use lights if you wanna have some chances to see your T.
Of course T's are more active at night, they're ambush hunters and darkness gives them an advantage.
There are any number of factors that may make a T sit out in the open or hide in it's burrow at any given time. Hunger, thirst, pre-molt, etc.
I have a number of aquarium lights (LED's) with a built in day/night cycle as well as red LED's. These lights have a sunrise and sunset feature built in (as well as storms, cloudy days, etc. I want to give my T's a day/night cycle. A more natural circadian rhythm. I'm fine if they hide during the day. I'm not there to see them anyway. However if they are more active in the evening and night time hours, and using the red LEDs I can observe them as well as feed and do other maintenance....win win.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Of course T's are more active at night, they're ambush hunters and darkness gives them an advantage.
There are any number of factors that may make a T sit out in the open or hide in it's burrow at any given time. Hunger, thirst, pre-molt, etc.
I have a number of aquarium lights (LED's) with a built in day/night cycle as well as red LED's. These lights have a sunrise and sunset feature built in (as well as storms, cloudy days, etc. I want to give my T's a day/night cycle. A more natural circadian rhythm. I'm fine if they hide during the day. I'm not there to see them anyway. However if they are more active in the evening and night time hours, and using the red LEDs I can observe them as well as feed and do other maintenance....win win.
With the right setup is a win win 😊👌🏼

My setup:

IMG_20200731_013418.jpg

You can see my pulchra just chilling in the corner. The geniculata is in her hide since she is in premolt, yesterday closed her entrance, so I hope a molt soon.