Tarantula Life Stage Question

jaycied

Arachnoknight
I just had a question that might seem silly, but I see the different life stages of tarantulas i.e- sling, juvie, sub adult, and (mature) adult.

How do you tell the difference? Mostly curious as to how you can tell you have a fully mature T.

Thanks!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's simple for me, Lady: it's when I don't have anymore to waste an helluva of cash for changing their shoes on a month basis -- especially to 0.1 Goddess Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) slings on her prime rear legs -- that I realize I'm an happy man.

I realize I have, finally, adults.

Adults able to walk by themselves against hardship of life :troll:

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
It's simple for me, Lady: it's when I don't have anymore to waste an helluva of cash for changing their shoes on a month basis -- especially to 0.1 Goddess Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) slings on her prime rear legs -- that I realize I'm an happy man.

I realize I have, finally, adults.

Adults able to walk by themselves against hardship of life :troll:
:wacky: Not exactly the answer TC was looking for I'm guessing. This is actually something I've wondered myself but since I know all of mine are still slings, well one might be a juvenile, I have not looked into it.

Icculus

Arachnosquire
Google "when is a sling a juvie" and you will get some results from this forum. I tried to post the links for you but apparently I'm to stupid to do so :bag:.

And may we all get the chance to be but her humble servent.

Last edited:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Once you buy a sling and raise it to maturity you will know :). These stages are all different within species but you can spot them eventually, I find it expecially obvious in Theraphosa sp. As their body shape drastically changes from molt to molt.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Slings - Abdomen is significantly bigger than the carapace, they're still fragile in regards to moisture and food requirements, and they generally have little to no coloration.

Juvies - Look like "mini adults", often with at least faded coloration. At this point, they should be kept identically to an adult.

Subadult - Just a large juvie, but not yet sexually mature. Adult coloration (aside from mature male coloration) is in full effect.

Adult - Sexually mature and has the capability to reproduce. In females, the spermatheca will be scleretized. In males, they will have bulbous pedipalps and some species display tibial hooks. Note that adult females are not necessarily full grown. They are able to reproduce at roughly 75% of their max size.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the info from all of you! I have nothing but slings right now (other than a sub adult A. avic) but wanted to know more about what to expect.