Tarantula just wrapping up food without eating?

StatikE

Arachnopeon
Hello!
I've had my Ybyrapora Diversipes sling for almost 2 months now, and on the 12th it molted the second time since I've had it. 6 days after the molt I gave it a small cricket, and it caught it but I never saw it eat. It seemed mostly intact up in the web everytime I looked. This morning, one of my bigger crickets went and got itself stuck and died, so figuring I'd put it to use I crushed its head to be safe and wiggled it by the web. Sure enough my T took it, wrapped it up in its web, and as of this evening it's still just wrapped up there while my T is sitting half outside in hunting stance...
Anyways I figured maybe it's just not that hungry because surely it wouldn't catch the food if it was missing its fangs or something. My question is has anyone else observed this "stockpiling" behavior from their tarantulas? Taking food but not eating it?

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's fairly common practice among ambush predators like tarantulas, so they can grab more food should a whole swarm of insects march by in close succession. Not eating captured prey for an extended time is a bit more unusual though. Hopefully there isn't a problem with its sucking stomach. Examine the molt please and look for this organ.
DSCF0114_LI.jpg

Dehydration could also be a reason why it won't eat prey after capture. Mist the little one's web a bit heavier so large droplets form for it to drink from.

Last edited:

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
My S.C.Robustus once hoarded 4 large crickets and I only found out she had them all when she started playing volleyball with them one night. She's named "Flinger" for a good reason

Gogyeng

Arachnobaron
Impaction can also lead to passing-over food and not eating but its much much less common.
T. Kat had recently a tube on this:

StatikE

Arachnopeon
To anyone watching this thread, the little guy ate its wrapped food finally, found a fresh bolus this morning. Dunno what that was about but I had misted a little extra in case it was a hydration issue as one of the suggestions said. Who knows? It seems there's never a sure answer with odd tarantula behavior, I appreciate the suggestions!