Tarantula Info

PsyC

Arachnosquire
Hi. I just saw this species on a website and i got stunned by the colors of the T. Can someone give some info about the Thrigmopoeus psychedelicus please? Enclosure, temps, arboreal, terrestreal or burrower? Thing like that.

Many thanks

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Shop I help out at has them in stock, They're an Asian burrower so most of the time they'll be secluded in there, at times you may see they're feet at the mouth of they're burrow during the day and possibly see them out at night getting a drink etc.. Deep moist substrate to allow them to build they're burrow, good moderate ventilation to prevent air from stagnating and a full water dish to drink from. You can keep them at room temperature, Should the temp drop significantly use a space heater to heat the entire room.

PsyC

Arachnosquire
Shop I help out at has them in stock, They are an Asian burrower so the most you'll see of them during the day is they're feet at the mouth of they're burrow and possibly see them out at night getting a drink etc.. Deep moist substrate to allow them to build they're burrow, good moderate ventilation to prevent air from stagnating and a full water dish to drink from. You can keep them at room temperature, Should the temp drop significantly use a space heater to heat the entire room.
I saw their prices as well. So you pay 150€ for a 2cm sling to see her/his legs and maybe see full body during the night? She/he is so expensive due to her/his colours or the species is quite rare?

Matabuey

Arachnosquire
I saw their prices as well. So you pay 150€ for a 2cm sling to see her/his legs and maybe see full body during the night? She/he is so expensive due to her/his colours or the species is quite rare?
Wait a year and they will be ~ €60. If you don't want to pay the current price.

symbol

Arachnopeon
@PsyC: The species was only relatively recently described (within the last 2-3 years IIRC). Honestly, I was surprised to see how quickly it had made it into the hobby. It has a relatively limited range in the wild (native to India) and there just hasn't been time for a large captive bred population to develop yet. So yes, it's beautiful, but the cost is mostly due to rarity/low supply. As Matabuey mentioned, as breeding projects increase in number and size, the price should come down.

ETA: Here's another thread that talks about them and provides a link to a really excellent article on the species and its native range.

Last edited: