Tarantula ID?

flotation

Arachnopeon
Hi! I've recently got four tarantulas from my friend who went to the Philippines. One was male and the rest were female. She said they were communal so I put them together in one enclosure which measures about 4x4x4. Each of the tarantula measures like 1.5-2''DLS. I actually saw the male try to mate each of the females several times but it wasn't successful(or so as i saw it). A few days ago, I saw a dead body so that leaves me with three left, I dont know which of them died though. Anyway I just wanted to know what species this T is.:)

Pics

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you've already came up with a dead T, You need to rehouse them separately. These don't look like any of the communal species I know of, but I'm no expert on communal species. Just for safety you should keep them separate until you are 100% on what they are.

Edit: And unless these are dwarf species, you did not see mating. 1.5-2" is too small for them to be mating. And if they aren't dwarf species, the only reason they are able to live together is because they were probably sacmates and tolerate each other for now. Which if they are sacmates, that would further disprove what you saw as mating.

You need more expert advice though as far as ID and whether they are communal.

And how do you know one was male other than what the past owner told you?

Last edited:

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It didn't die. One of the females probabbly killed the male. Why the hell would you put them all in same enclosure.....Most arachnids are canibals you should know by now that and they kill eachother.... And if spider is that small its unable to mate anyway....

And you missed the whole section of forum, there is specific section for spider/tarantula id......

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
C'mon guys, don't rag on him to much.

flotation, I do have to say that if you've already had one death, your best option is to just go ahead and separate them. Also, you say your friend got them in the Philippines? I don't recall any communal species coming from there, If I'm wrong, someone go ahead and correct me. :) Still, I think your best bet is to go ahead and separate them now.

As far as an ID goes, yes there is a subforum for that in particular, located here ---> http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/browseimages.php?c=11
I cannot offer any help IDing your Ts. I can however say they're very pretty. :) Looks like they're pretty cantankerous too. :D

flotation

Arachnopeon
Well my friend said it was communal. I think it was really mating since the male was like drumming his front legs when in front of one female.
So I think its a dwarf species indeed. Well the three left are living peacefully as I am seeing.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just because your friend said they were communal doesn't necessarily mean they are, you should probably keep that in mind. I can't make you do anything, but I'm saying to you, right now, if I were you, I would separate them. I mean, ok, maybe they are communal, but would you really risk losing another one if you were wrong? If your friend was wrong? Especially seeing as you've already lost one.

flotation

Arachnopeon
Well I hope someone clears this. I've already separated them and put them in delicups. :)
I still don't know what species this is so I don't know what special care to give it.

Anyway I've used search engines and came up with the species Phlogiellus baeri.
It clearly matches all descriptions except the color, the colors in the internet are black...:(
And mine are brown lol..

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does the male have the swollen pedipalps and tibial hooks?

Edit: I looked at some images of P. baeri. I saw some with brown coloring. Those indeed are a dwarf species so it very well might be it. I can't ID, but from images, it does look similar to that species.

I couldn't find if they were communal or not, but they have been transferred into the genus Yamia.

Last edited:

MrMatt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@ Chris Skeleton- look at the palps on the second picture, looks like a mature male to me.

Ya its been beaten to death and looks like you've done it but keeping them separate is best, that said they are yours so if your enclosure is big enough... why not, it hasn't been proven they're not communal or tolerant. One dead spider was it just dead or had it been eaten/chewed on at all? If the male is still alive cycle him through the girls letting him live with them for a few days each. Good luck on the ID they look nice.

flotation

Arachnopeon
The dead spider was half eaten.
First thing that came to my mind when I saw that was a successful breeding so I continued to think that they were communal.
I really don't know how to sex dwarf tarantulas.

toidy

Arachnosquire
hi guys. those are indeed phlogelius baeris.. its native to our country, the philippines. they only reach up to 2" max. they really can be kept communaly but sometimes you can't avoid to have casualties.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They look like Yamia sp."Koh Samui" to me they are as mentioned a dwarf species, and yes they are indeed communal, loads of people over here in the UK keep them communally with success.

flotation

Arachnopeon
Uhm what one escaped from its delicup omg... What do I do now? I can't find it, is it lethal when you get bitten by it?

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well I wouldnt tear the whole room up look under anything that casts a shadow for now there is a good chance you will find it. that includes the bottom of a table. I would leave a damp paper towel in the corner near by the place it got out and hoefully it will find its way there. Also clear your shoes out before you put them on.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh thanks! :)
What a relief..
Im now cleaning my room to search for her..:)
Still be careful though, as Old World tarantulas do have some potent venom, it is not lethal, but not something you will enjoy, could be painful. I don't know if dwarves insert less venom though. Good luck on the hunt.