Tarantula ID, please!

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A friend of mine gave me this T. It's WC (from Peru).

Any ideas which species it could be? It's about 4'' legspan.

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm a noob, but to me, looks like b vagans. I could be completely wrong though. Like I said, I'm a noob. I'm not sure if b vagans is found in peru though

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Megaphobema velvetosoma comes to mind, they are from Peru.

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You, guys, are the best :D

My friend told me that it's a Megaphobema velvetosoma, but I saw in the WSC that they are only found in Ecuador.
Nevertheless, my friend told me that in Peru, actually, they're present, so you could be right.

Besides, he told me that he saw some specimes of this species much bigger than this (about 6'' or maybe more)

Thanks! ;)
Bothrops

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How big a container you housing it in? Do you happen to know the sex? If you can get a vertal shot of it (underneath by the book lungs) then I'm sure me and a lot of other people can determine the sex for you. Just a thought in case you were wondering.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wow i used to have that ssp. a very long time ago,when they were being imported, they must be kept very moist,otherwise they will dehydrate quickly,other than that they do great:clap: very cool spider! i miss having those.

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How big a container you housing it in? Do you happen to know the sex? If you can get a vertal shot of it (underneath by the book lungs) then I'm sure me and a lot of other people can determine the sex for you. Just a thought in case you were wondering.
I'm housing it in a 30x20x20 cm terrarium (about 12'' x 8'' x 8'').

Do they need a deep substrate to burrow or they do well with a hide?

I want to know the sex, but I don't know if I could get a ventral shot, so I think I'll wait until the next molt to sex it, thanks!!

Cheers!
Bothrops

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow i used to have that ssp. a very long time ago,when they were being imported, they must be kept very moist,otherwise they will dehydrate quickly,other than that they do great:clap: very cool spider! i miss having those.
Thanks beetleman!

Indeed, I'm keeping it fairly moist, the substrate is damp, but now 'swamp'. Besides, it has a waterdish!

Cheers,
Bothrops

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
they are burrowers, so i would offer it a hide and lots of substrate - they tend to burrow under a protected spot like a hide. also, mind that you don't keep this species too warm, they like rather low temperatures (around 20° celsius, in winter even lower).

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they are burrowers, so i would offer it a hide and lots of substrate - they tend to burrow under a protected spot like a hide. also, mind that you don't keep this species too warm, they like rather low temperatures (around 20° celsius, in winter even lower).
Thanks Alice! That's a good advice. I'll do that, and I'll keep it in a room without heating.

Cheers,
Bothrops

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm gettin better at this, I looked at that photo, and thought, hmmmm looks like a M. velvet somethin er other, lol