Tarantula I.D.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I know what she is supposed to be, but I have doubts. She is about 7". Tell me what you think. Thanks.
010 6-23-10.jpg
010a 6-23-10.jpg

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Better pics would do a blessing . But from these , looks like a G. pulchra ! 7" G. pulchra . . . Strange lol

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Scool, She doesn't appear too brown by the pic. First thing I noticed was the paler striping on the knees. I ran in to look at Scotty after you posted the pics. Sure enough, they're there but noticeably darker. One area on one knee appears paler, more worn- somewhat like your pic. Btw, this particular mark seems to be a trait of several genera. I've observed that it grows more noticeable over time with my huge Theraphosa sp- again probably due to wear. I'd like to see a pic of your big girl taken a little farther back if you would. I'd bet there's no problem with her identification- just ready for a new suit. My 2 cents.

Terry

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Btw, Wow! Looks like she's probably got some monstrous fangs. Close to, if not 1"?

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Don't they get kind of washed out looking prior to a molt?
Yes they do. It just look very strange on an adult.

My guess is she is a W/C.. No telling how close she is from a molt..
I think so too, based on her condition upon arrival. Another concern I have with this purchase, since export on this species was banned - she was illegally poached - on the plus side, new genetic material for the trade. Never buy German specimen again. I hope she is close to molt. She will be beautiful.

Btw, Wow! Looks like she's probably got some monstrous fangs. Close to, if not 1"?
Her fangs are huge, but she is a pussy cat. I really man handled her when she arrived to inspect her many wounds, aside from the occasional squirm she just let me.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
7" G. pulchra . . . Strange lol
Not at all, little man! Not only do I believe scool but there are too many other reported lengths of 7" or slightly over for it to be strange. I often wonder where some of these exceedingly conservative measurements of sp originate. My male boehmei is 5" if an inch from a little guy last Oct. There have been several reports of those at 7" as well. Who knows.

Tommy, I may be wrong but pretty sure most of these pulchra shipments originate from europe and most are captive born and bred. No entirely sure, though. Any provenance comments you might add, Scool?

Terry

edit- Scool, I see you migh have cleared the provenance issue, at least somewhat!

Last edited:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tommy, I may be wrong but pretty sure most of these pulchra shipments originate from europe and most are captive born and bred. No entirely sure, though. Any provenance comments you might add, Scool?

Terry
I dont doubt it may have been legally shipped here.. But I can say for sure.. If she is 7".. I highly doubt she is a captive bred.. Just my opinion though..

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Scool, Another possible reason for her condition might well be age. I was fairly sure these european sold pulchra were all cbb. So much for that? Wow! That's a depressing thought. Still.... from what I can see she's a beauty!

Terry

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I dont doubt it may have been legally shipped here.. But I can say for sure.. If she is 7".. I highly doubt she is a captive bred.. Just my opinion though..
Tommy, Yeah. I agree. That's one reason i didn't join in on the brown-boxing fracas. I believed that many t's legally shipped second time around were originally brown-boxed, if not bred from parents that were. Chicken or egg?

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
She is definitely from a German supplier, the seller told me he had a shipment in from Germany.
The reason I think she is WC is due to her condition. She has two damaged legs - one joint on each is non functional, a damaged pedipalp - two joints have no mobility, and severe wear on one chelicera. If she is not WC then she was kept the most horrid conditions. For all I know she is an old breeder and they just wanted to make a quick buck. In any case i will give her the most luxurious home for her remaining days.
She may have been legally shipped here, but she would not have been legally shipped from Brazil to Germany.

She is very brown. The photos don't show it well. I will have to get better shot with my good camera and better lighting.

Last edited:

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Scool, Dang, man! I was all but convinced the euro pulchra were cbb. I can now most assuredly add this to the growing list of uncertainties.

I'm glad she's going to have a good forever home. Who knows, maybe even some of the more serious issues you mentioned will clear up the next molt.

Fingers crossed for ya for sure,

Terry

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey.. On a plus side.. If she is W/C... Maybe she paired up.. Never know..
I have had to W/C rosea drop a sac for me..

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hey.. On a plus side.. If she is W/C... Maybe she paired up.. Never know..
I have had to W/C rosea drop a sac for me..
That would just be the bomb. I guess will find out after Oct-Nov when I drop temps.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That would just be the bomb. I guess will find out after Oct-Nov when I drop temps.
Why would you drop the temps? Keep them up & she will drop sooner if she is possibly gravid...

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Why would you drop the temps? Keep them up & she will drop sooner if she is possibly gravid...
The pulchra need a cooling period to spark the reproductive response. It simulates the change from winter to spring.