Tarantula Hobby that 50 dollar shipping though

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I do use ShipYourReptiles. My usual box size is 6x6x6 or 7x7x7.
I just got a quote from them shipping a 6x6x6 2 lb box overnight from Vallejo, CA to OKC at $57.81. Are you up in some tiny mountain town? That would possibly explain the huge rate hike to $96. A 7x7x7 2 lb box is $65.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I just got a quote from them shipping a 6x6x6 2 lb box overnight from Vallejo, CA to OKC at $57.81. Are you up in some tiny mountain town? That would possibly explain the huge rate hike to $96. A 7x7x7 2 lb box is $65.
Lol yes I am. Without a FedEx even in the county, the prices from here are ridiculous.

Their box was something like 11.5x11.5x11.

brahn

Arachnopeon
I find it kind of amusing that people are talking about 2 day shipping being so insanely much more risky.
And we northern-europeans are sitting here with our 4 day shipping, if we're lucky.

Only time I've had a DOA was a shipment that got held up in customs over a weekend, and we had a frost hit just as it was released.
That killed a single scorpion in a 2 scorpion, 1 sling shipment. (The other scorpion is still kind of wonky looking, so might not make it, but the sling is just peachy.)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
sure you can...

Under good conditions, i consider overnight a waste of money....2 day is no less safe...in fact, of the very few DOAs ive had, almost all have come with overnight shipping.

Im guessing it was within a state or two... under closer distances, fed ex ground...the cheapest option, almost always arrives over night....shipping tip there.

And i have...lol
I’ll order the sac!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Today is water dish cleaning day. Naturally, this is Genicula's favorite day.

I went to replace the water dish, and he kicked hairs at me repeatedly. After attempting to decontaminate myself, I went back to check on him, and he had climbed up to the vents (butt on the vents) and was trying to kick hairs through the vent holes. :mad:

Jasonardo

Arachnopeon
I live in Nova Scotia Canada and shipping from Quebec costs around $70 Canadian, about $52 US.
I am brand new to the hobby. Do not have any yet - been researching types of T's enclosures, care, etc etc for a few weeks. I have not found any facebook groups etc. for NS tarantula owners. Maybe we should make one - do combined orders to save on shipping.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Whenever I order, I ask others in my area if they want to add anything. Also I order 4-6 Ts to make the shipping worth it. I don’t mind paying $$ to make sure my babies arrive alive.

Jasonardo

Arachnopeon
Whenever I order, I ask others in my area if they want to add anything. Also I order 4-6 Ts to make the shipping worth it. I don’t mind paying $$ to make sure my babies arrive alive.
Makes sense! I know no-one else with T's currently (what brought me here). Figured I might find some folks. Where I am/will be a first time owner it's harder to commit to a larger order. I have a couple of species in mind as potential firsts, but adopting 5-6 right out of the gate is a bit intimidating. Thanks for the response! It's comforting that there is a large active community.

Ian14

Arachnobaron
Well, here in the UK its £8.99 overnight delivery, guaranteed arrival by 1pm. If you want delivery by 11am its a little more but not much more.

Makes sense! I know no-one else with T's currently (what brought me here). Figured I might find some folks. Where I am/will be a first time owner it's harder to commit to a larger order. I have a couple of species in mind as potential firsts, but adopting 5-6 right out of the gate is a bit intimidating. Thanks for the response! It's comforting that there is a large active community.
Hi
tarantulas are very energy efficient animals.They spend a lot of time doing nothing at all(not even moving)
That's why many once they get one quickly get few more and few more.....
So you have sth to entertain yourself with.
5 or 6 is sth completely easy to manage especially if is slings.Deli cups for enclosures and s but of dirt in them and you are good to go.You dont have to go all different species I get my sling in fives and hope for at least one girl.Pick your species do some research and place your order and dont be intimidated.
Regards Konstantin

Jasonardo

Arachnopeon
Hi
tarantulas are very energy efficient animals.They spend a lot of time doing nothing at all(not even moving)
That's why many once they get one quickly get few more and few more.....
So you have sth to entertain yourself with.
5 or 6 is sth completely easy to manage especially if is slings.Deli cups for enclosures and s but of dirt in them and you are good to go.You dont have to go all different species I get my sling in fives and hope for at least one girl.Pick your species do some research and place your order and dont be intimidated.
Regards Konstantin
Thanks!

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
i am lucky enough to have access to an online seller that allows walk in buys at his location no more shipping fees or the waiting for it to arrive plus i get to check out the t before purchase always a plus to see before you buy

i am lucky enough to have access to an online seller that allows walk in buys at his location no more shipping fees or the waiting for it to arrive plus i get to check out the t before purchase always a plus to see before you buy
Thats dangerous. You go for one and end up getting 10.Haha
Regards Konstantin

Craig73

Arachnoangel
:stop: That’s only $6.25 per leg If you buy one. Buy more and the cost per leg goes down.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
It is not just about the time in the box, it depends on the climate where you live. Where I live sometimes there is frost overnight so a heatpack is needed too. I had one package delayed to a second day and it was the grumpiest shipment I got in comparison with all of my other ones that were all overnight. Tarantulas are hardy, but an extra day worth of bumping around or someone being careless or even a molt could end one. (usually tarantula sellers know when a molt is due so would not ship one premolt but it happens)

Ian14

Arachnobaron
It is not just about the time in the box, it depends on the climate where you live. Where I live sometimes there is frost overnight so a heatpack is needed too. I had one package delayed to a second day and it was the grumpiest shipment I got in comparison with all of my other ones that were all overnight. Tarantulas are hardy, but an extra day worth of bumping around or someone being careless or even a molt could end one. (usually tarantula sellers know when a molt is due so would not ship one premolt but it happens)
Over here, if a heat pack is needed its added at NO EXTRA COST. So its still £8.99, next day delivery before 1pm, with the animals in a box filled with polystyrene packing chips, inside a second box again packed with polystyrene chips. With a 24 hour heat pack if needed.
And yes, if weather conditions are too bad, they don't ship until the weather is better.
No matter how you try to excuse it, $50 for delivery compared to £8.99? With heat packs and properly insulated??
You are being ripped off I'm afraid.