Tarantula hiding and possibly dehydrated?

TrintyMHarchuska

Arachnopeon
I am a first time owner, and I recently purchased a Mexican Red Knee Tarantula, I think I correctly sexed him as a male. Anyways, for the last week or so he's been burrowed in his hide with the entrance blocked off, so I'm pretty positive he's in pre-molt, and he's still eating when I drop a cricket in there every few days. However this is where I'm getting worried, there hasn't been any signs that he's come out of his hide to drink! His abdomen is looking smaller than before and he doesn't move around very often. I'm just concerned that he is maybe dehydrated. Could someone maybe tell me what's going on?

Attachments

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
This can be completely normal behavior for tarantulas. Since he's eating, I wouldn't be too concerned about dehydration. Many species, especially those that live in arid conditions, get most of the moisture that they need from their food. However, it's still a good idea to provide a water dish just to be sure. Unless his abdomen is looking shriveled and shrunken, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Spiders are weird sometimes...I've had mine do similar things for months at a time.

TrintyMHarchuska

Arachnopeon
This can be completely normal behavior for tarantulas. Since he's eating, I wouldn't be too concerned about dehydration. Many species, especially those that live in arid conditions, get most of the moisture that they need from their food. However, it's still a good idea to provide a water dish just to be sure. Unless his abdomen is looking shriveled and shrunken, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Spiders are weird sometimes...I've had mine do similar things for months at a time.
Okay, that makes me feel better. Thanks for the info 👍

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am a first time owner, and I recently purchased a Mexican Red Knee Tarantula, I think I correctly sexed him as a male. Anyways, for the last week or so he's been burrowed in his hide with the entrance blocked off, so I'm pretty positive he's in pre-molt, and he's still eating when I drop a cricket in there every few days. However this is where I'm getting worried, there hasn't been any signs that he's come out of his hide to drink! His abdomen is looking smaller than before and he doesn't move around very often. I'm just concerned that he is maybe dehydrated. Could someone maybe tell me what's going on?
If the tarantula have had water since day one it wont be dehydrated. If thirsty and need water they search for it. In a small container it is not hard for them to find it

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I wouldn't worry about dehydration. I could be mistaken but you might want to add alot more substrate to avoid a potential fall though

TrintyMHarchuska

Arachnopeon
I've been reading up a lot on set ups for Ts, and I've been questioning mine. I have a 6 gallon tank that's very good in floor space but it does have a metal screen top.. and I currently have a sprinkle of cypress mulch to help with the humidity in his tank, but I heard that isn't good for them. I don't have a large amount of substrate and I was just wondering on what I should do to make his quality of life the best it can possibly be. On a side note, he is currently in pre-molt and he is closed up in his hide. Would it be safe to move him and redo his tank or should I let him be until awhile after he molts? I'm extremely new to this and maybe I'm just being over protective but I just want to make sure he is happy and has everything to be healthy.

Attachments

fried rice

Arachnoknight
You need to replace the mulch with coconut fiber or top soil. Remove the heat lamp, tarantulas don’t need extra heat. Also, replace the metal screen with acrylic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poonjab

Arachnoking
What the guy above me said. Also... fill the enclosure up over half way. This will prevent a serious injury if a fall occurs. If it was me and she is getting ready to molt and all burrowed off, just leave it be for now. No need to interrupt the process. But get your ducks in a row so you can do a proper rehouse with the things mentioned above after the molt.

TrintyMHarchuska

Arachnopeon
What the guy above me said. Also... fill the enclosure up over half way. This will prevent a serious injury if a fall occurs. If it was me and she is getting ready to molt and all burrowed off, just leave it be for now. No need to interrupt the process. But get your ducks in a row so you can do a proper rehouse with the things mentioned above after the molt.
That's what I thought I just wanted to double check, thanks for the feedback 👍

cold blood

Staff member
There is no danger with correcting the enclosure...ts in pre molt dont explode if they move or are moved....its always best to fix any issues straight away