Tarantula help

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Excuse me mister high roller, but I have been reading about these subjects since I was 8, and I close to never use wikipedia for anything. I find it insulting that you would jump to that conclusion, and I also find it arrogant of you to speak so condecendingly to us.

And please read my most recent post. I edited it because I didn't have time to elaborate at the moment where I put in the answer.

And if you can't provide me with any other sources, and need to resort to being rude about it, I would say you are either a supremly arrogant person, or a dolt that can't back up his claims, and untill you prove me wrong I will consider you thus.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is what I was thinking, too: poisons can be ingested, inhaled, absorbed through the skin, but venoms needed to be carried through the blood supply through direct injection. Most venoms can be ingested safely, as they break down in the stomach.
Snake venoms can generally be injested safely (although I know of one medical report where this could be challenged) - but this may not be true of all venoms. Certainly there are poisons that can be highly toxic when injected that can be just a toxic when absorbed through skin and membranes, and through inhalation. I agree with your statement that "venoms needed to be carried through the blood supply through direct injection" - that's what makes them venoms. But it doesn't exclude them from being poisons.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And if you can't provide me with any other sources, and need to resort to being rude about it, I would say you are either a supremly arrogant person, or a dolt that can't back up his claims, and untill you prove me wrong I will consider you thus.
You may consider what you want. Name calling and insults won't make your claims any more intelligent and won't change the truth. If you choose not to believe me - so be it. I don't need to convince you of anything for it to be true, and your refusal to seek the truth doesn't make your own arguments more valid. :rolleyes:

connjamm19

Arachnopeon
how about Brachypelma boehmei, robc talked about them in his docile t video, are the easy to care for, like what temps and humidity?

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Anything that is venomous is, by definition, also poisonous.
No, just no..

I have been studying Snakes since I was five. Even though venomous species are not my forte' I do know this is wrong and I am sure many people who keep hot species and actually have to deal with them on a day to day basis. I am not talking tarantulas no, but Oxyuranus microlepidotus, Pseudechis australis, and Dispholidus typus. I am pretty sure they know more than you do. You can say you researched all you like, but I would like to think someone that has gone to school for something like that would know more than you do. I'm sorry this is my biggest pet peeve out of everything is when people misuse or REALLY think that they are the same.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You should do fine with a Lasiodora parahybana if you are carefull and use your head before you put your hands in the enclosure. They are also very hardy and are very cheap.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
I would like to add my .02, I being a newby here, would suggest any of the Brachypelma's or Grammastola pulchra. Also take in consideration do you want terrestrial or arboreal? I like the terrestrials beter, nothing against the arboreals just my choice.
You might want to include Ken The Bug Guy when shopping, He's VERY knowledgeable and wont take advantage of you just to make a sale.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
...I am sure many people who keep hot species and actually have to deal with them on a day to day basis. I am not talking tarantulas no, but Oxyuranus microlepidotus, Pseudechis australis, and Dispholidus typus. I am pretty sure they know more than you do. You can say you researched all you like, but I would like to think someone that has gone to school for something like that would know more than you do. I'm sorry this is my biggest pet peeve out of everything is when people misuse or REALLY think that they are the same.
Not trying to insult you - not at all - but your reasoning is weak here. Let me offer myself as an example.

I have been keeping venomous reptiles since the early 1960s. In the mid 60s I kept cobras, puff adders, Russell's vipers, and, using your example, boomslangs (Dispholidus typus, if you prefer Latin). I have continued keeping venomous snakes, and still do today. But... contrary to your reasoning, that does not guarantee that I studied them in a scientific way, studied their venoms, or had any knowledge of medical classification of poisons. As it happens, I did take a scientific interest from the beginning - but for every person I know who has kept hot stuff and studied it scientifically, I can think of ten others who kept them and had no scientific interest in them.

For me keeping venomous stuff DID get me interested in venoms, and I started reading scientific literature about them back in college in the late 60's. I still have a strong interest in the field, and have moved from specifically snake venoms to an interest in other types of venoms as well - especially arachnid venoms most recently. Many of my friends are researchers working with venoms, some are or have been directors of poison control centers. (And yes, "poison control" does include venoms.) But again, that is not necessarily the same as knowing how medical classification pertains to venoms and other poisons.

To know how venoms and other poisons are classified in the medical literature, you really do need to specifically look at that. Keeping snakes will not impart that knowledge, appreciating venoms will not impart that knowledge, even experiencing snake bites does not impart that knowledge (although I have been bitten by several varieties of venomous snakes, I had to gain technical knowledge from the literature and from actual medical observation and research).

Fortunately, for those who actually do want to learn how the medical community classifies venoms and other poisons, that information does not take many years of research and study - it's written in many medical reference books that are overall very easy to understand. And I have taken the time to read some of them.

Think for a minute about the purpose of classification and how it pertains to the subject. There is no valid reason to separate one set of toxic reactions from all other toxic reactions based only on a means of delivery. Medical research is interested in the effects of those toxins regardless of how they are delivered. Hence "toxicology" is not separated into "toxicology and venomology". It's all one big topic. "Toxins" and "poisons" are synonymous. And both include venoms as a subgroup. It's nothing more complicated than that.

With that - I'm going to suggest that this has drifted far from the original intent of this thread. If anyone wants to continue this discussion, let's move it to a thread of its own.

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
what temp/humidity do mexican red knees need
Provide twice weekly misting for a specimen under 2 inches (enough droplets so the spider can easily get a drink, not a soaking); a water dish at all times for larger individuals. Overflow the dish every now and then, and room temperature is just fine. Usually, unless you like it really cold, room temps are fine for any species.

Think for a minute about the purpose of classification and how it pertains to the subject. There is no valid reason to separate one set of toxic reactions from all other toxic reactions based only on a means of delivery. Medical research is interested in the effects of those toxins regardless of how they are delivered. Hence "toxicology" is not separated into "toxicology and venomology". It's all one big topic. "Toxins" and "poisons" are synonymous. And both include venoms as a subgroup. It's nothing more complicated than that.
This is a very refreshing take on a topic that has been debated more times than I can count.