Tarantula Heath question

MulsYerrus

Arachnopeon
My female curly hair who is around 5+ years old (I've lost count) has two scabs on her abdomen she just molted in October and she eats crickets and I do not pick her up or touch her at all. Is she in pain? What should I do? Is there such thing as a tarantula vet?
Thank you for the replies.

Attachments

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't know why your Theraphosidae has those scars. I can only speculate about what but IMO is pointless. Indeed they aren't the best to see, but if the spider eat and acts normal, IMO don't worry. If you can, post a picture of the entire set up (enclosure, decor etc) this will help.

--

One of my dreams is to bring one of my T's, or my S.subspinipes, to my vet. clinic just for see Barbara and her white dressed sexy vet-gals screaming like Banshees :mooning:

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Perhaps I'm just paranoid, but I'd recommend to quarantine her from the rest of your collection in case she's been infected with anything.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Remove all rough/jagged objects from the enclosure. Looks like friction injury of sort.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Possibly old burn scars that look fresh after her molt from a heat mat under or on the side of the enclosure?

cold blood

Staff member
Remove all rough/jagged objects from the enclosure. Looks like friction injury of sort.
This was my first thought as well. Is it climbing on rocks...does it sit on or against that big rock often? What kind of substrate are you using? Can we get a pic of the entire enclosure?

I'd expect a molt to take care of it...however, if it is a cyst of sorts, it could be a point of danger in the next molt.

There isn't really anything you or anyone can do aside from figuring out why if possible...if it is a cyst, the reasons behind it will be a mystery. Looks like rub marks to me though.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Yes maybe this is it. She never uses her house with the heating pad maybe she got burned.
As long as you are comfortable in a shirt inside your home the spider doesn't need additional heat weather its a mat on the side, underneath or a reptile heated hide.
70 degrees is fine with occasional mid 60's If you need to warm it up use a room heater

MulsYerrus

Arachnopeon
Lucy is housed in a 5gal tank with a heating pad in the house and water dish on opposite side. She's always been happy in here. I welcome any criticism
I don't know why your Theraphosidae has those scars. I can only speculate about what but IMO is pointless. Indeed they aren't the best to see, but if the spider eat and acts normal, IMO don't worry. If you can, post a picture of the entire set up (enclosure, decor etc) this will help.

--

One of my dreams is to bring one of my T's, or my S.subspinipes, to my vet. clinic just for see Barbara and her white dressed sexy vet-gals screaming like Banshees :mooning:

--

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Lucy is housed in a 5gal tank with a heating pad in the house and water dish on opposite side. She's always been happy in here. I welcome any criticism
those are most likely burns from the heat mat, you should never use a heat mat on a tarantula. add a bunch more substrate, there should be a gap of no more than 2x the tarantulas legspan. you should also switch out the screen lid. they can lose legs on those.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Take the heat mat off. As long as your temps don't go below 65ish, you're fine. And add more sub.

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, a heat pad is a bad idea, but putting it under a confined space will only exacerbate the dangers. Adult Brachypelma are pretty resilient when it comes to cooler night temps. Still I would try to keep night temps over 65 and it really only needs to get to about 70 during the day.

As said, to safely utilize that enclosure you would want to fill it over halfway with substrate. And bury the hide, tarantulas like tight places and an open hide offers them little. Think of it like this, we would be comfortable walking into an open room, but would feel very uncomfortable if we were under a bed....a t is precisely the opposite, it would despise the open room and in fact the space beneath the bed might not be tight enough.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Given the distance from the lid to the substrate a fall is a likely cause of the issue. Heed the advice of others here and add a lot more substrate and fix the angle of the hide. Also replace the lid.

Remember , just because it is surviving does not mean it is thriving.

Correct the oversights mentioned here and you should be looking good.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I'm usually for heatmats/pads, but like ColdBlood said, to put it in the hide is not a good idea. The T will go as close as possible towards the heatpad. It may have burned itself, like you mentioned, so all the more reason to take it out.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Curly hairs are great. I have a little female I like a lot :) yeah the tank is an easy fix. Remove the heat mat, add dirt so theres not a ton of space for it to fall, get heavy duty tape and put around a few inches of the screen top. They really can climb and get legs caught in them.

MulsYerrus

Arachnopeon
Thanks for your input just have some questions. You said fix the angle of the hide? Which way should I have it... and replace the lid with what? I never liked the fact she can crawl upside down on the lid.I have never witnessed her fall but anything is possible. If I bought a shallow tank would it stress her out if I changed her home? She's been in the same tank since the day I bought her. I am going to fix and post a picture.

Given the distance from the lid to the substrate a fall is a likely cause of the issue. Heed the advice of others here and add a lot more substrate and fix the angle of the hide. Also replace the lid.

Remember , just because it is surviving does not mean it is thriving.

Correct the oversights mentioned here and you should be looking good.

MulsYerrus

Arachnopeon
Really bad mistake on my part. I just thought she would be snuggly warm. I have unplugged the heating pad and will just keep an eye on the room temp.
I'm usually for heatmats/pads, but like ColdBlood said, to put it in the hide is not a good idea. The T will go as close as possible towards the heatpad. It may have burned itself, like you mentioned, so all the more reason to take it out.

MulsYerrus

Arachnopeon
Thank you just the answers I was looking for.
Curly hairs are great. I have a little female I like a lot :) yeah the tank is an easy fix. Remove the heat mat, add dirt so theres not a ton of space for it to fall, get heavy duty tape and put around a few inches of the screen top. They really can climb and get legs caught in them.