Tarantula has not molted once

SirLemonCube

Arachnopeon
Guys, I found my tarantula around three months ago. I found him in my drive way (I live close to Oklahoma) he was missing one leg but seemed to get around normally. Im very certain that he is a male and was a baby. He has grown very very little since I found him. He has shown some signs of pre-molt, (like the bald spot on the abdomen) but within my three months of having him he has not molted at all. I have researched many things about T's and I have looked into arachnoboards for many questions, but I feel that I need to specifically ask this question: why has my tarantula not molted?

I assume that you all that have helped me would say I put him back into the wild?

I will do it if it is completely appropriate...

I released him guys.... Thank you, sincerely, for all of your help.

Last edited:

Devin B

Arachnobaron
If you answer these few questions it will help a great deal.

When did it last eat?
How big is it?
Can you provide a picture of your T and its whole enclosure.

T's can only grow through molting this is why you havent noticed any growth.

Pre molt signs include, but are not limited to:
Shiny abdomen
Lethargy
Refusing food
Black abdomen

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Why do you think it is a spiderling?

It cant of grown a little without molting.

Can you please post photos ? It is super difficult to give advice without having a look at the subject.

NewAgePrimal

Arachnosquire
A. hentzi is a very slow grower. I've had my girl since 2010 and she MIGHT molt once a year, sometimes 1 1/2 - 2. She will hole up for months and not molt. How do you know it is male?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If it is a wild-caught, native tarantula species, then it is going to be one of the Aphonopelma species. They tend to be very slow growing - I've had immature Aphonopelma go a year or more between molts, though tiny spiderlings would grow/molt a bit faster. I've also had them barricade themselves in their hides and not eat for months at a time - following which they might molt - or they might not. Regardless of whether he is molting/pre-molt, keep his water dish filled with clean water at all times. If he is out-and-about, offer food - but if he doesn't take it, remove it from the cage. A live cricket or cockroach can injure or even kill a spider when it is particularly vulnerable immediately before, during, or after a molt. If he barricades himself in his hide or seals himself in a burrow, do not offer live food until he emerges on his own - and do not dig him out. A big part of tarantula keeping is patience.

How big is it? Why do you think it is male? Has it been eating for you? How often? What kind of enclosure are you keeping it in? Substrate? Hide? Water dish? Pictures would help.

If it has not molted, it cannot possibly have grown - with the possible exception of the abdomen swelling if he was dehydrated or hungry when you found him, then had plenty to eat or drink in your care. The abdomen of a spider is sufficiently elastic that it can shrink or swell based on how much/recently the spider has eaten, if the spider is dehdrated, if the spider is gravid (carrying eggs), or if it has recently laid eggs.

SirLemonCube

Arachnopeon
Why do you think it is a spiderling?

It cant of grown a little without molting.

Can you please post photos ? It is super difficult to give advice without having a look at the subject.

I have realized that my T can not grow without molting. Thank you. I will try to post pictures

SirLemonCube

Arachnopeon
If it is a wild-caught, native tarantula species, then it is going to be one of the Aphonopelma species. They tend to be very slow growing - I've had immature Aphonopelma go a year or more between molts, though tiny spiderlings would grow/molt a bit faster. I've also had them barricade themselves in their hides and not eat for months at a time - following which they might molt - or they might not. Regardless of whether he is molting/pre-molt, keep his water dish filled with clean water at all times. If he is out-and-about, offer food - but if he doesn't take it, remove it from the cage. A live cricket or cockroach can injure or even kill a spider when it is particularly vulnerable immediately before, during, or after a molt. If he barricades himself in his hide or seals himself in a burrow, do not offer live food until he emerges on his own - and do not dig him out. A big part of tarantula keeping is patience.

How big is it? Why do you think it is male? Has it been eating for you? How often? What kind of enclosure are you keeping it in? Substrate? Hide? Water dish? Pictures would help.

If it has not molted, it cannot possibly have grown - with the possible exception of the abdomen swelling if he was dehydrated or hungry when you found him, then had plenty to eat or drink in your care. The abdomen of a spider is sufficiently elastic that it can shrink or swell based on how much/recently the spider has eaten, if the spider is dehdrated, if the spider is gravid (carrying eggs), or if it has recently laid eggs.
Thank you so much... This helps a lot. Regarding to food in the enclosure; I have a pattern of waiting four or five days after my T has eaten then I put another prey item such as a cricket or a grasshopper... And i let the prey roam around until my T desires to eat it.

Picture of the enclosure
20171015_164406.jpg

boina

Lady of the mites
Unless I'm very much mistaken this is a mature male of a small Aphonopelma species - meaning it will not molt again - ever. Mature males have had their ultimate molt. Now their main instinct is to roam and find a female before they die.

Chickenfeeder100

Arachnosquire
You might want to add more substrate so if the tarantula climbs and falls, it won't have its abdomen ruptured and die. Also what are those reddish stuff that look like Broken ceramics.

MWAInverts

Arachnoknight
Looks like a mature male Aphonopelma. If that’s the case and has the boxing gloves for palps, he’s done growing. IMO let him go so he can find a mate.

SirLemonCube

Arachnopeon
A. hentzi is a very slow grower. I've had my girl since 2010 and she MIGHT molt once a year, sometimes 1 1/2 - 2. She will hole up for months and not molt. How do you know it is male?
It has been said that if the T's abdomen is rather small and has small hooks on its legs it is most likely a male.