Tarantula hanging by one leg?

queenang13

Arachnopeon
A few weeks ago I got a pink toed tarantula(a small one) I asked the pet store if they knew whether my tarantula, creature, was a male or female(could not tell me) being new to the hobby I am learning everything as I go. I have creature in a 10 gallon tank and for a while it has just been on the rock wall I have in the habitat but yesterday I noticed creature hanging by a single leg on this rock wall sometimes upside down, sometimes not. I’ve noticed creature being in stressful positions sometimes , huddling the legs close to the body and such. I’m not sure if it is starting to molt or if it’s warning me for help. My tarantula hasn’t eaten since in my care also..

Attachments

Hakuna

Arachnoknight
Claws get stuck/pinched in woven mesh of the screen lids.

Replace the screen with drilled acrylic.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It is hard to say anything without photos depicting the behavior and the enclosure. Can you post pictures?

queenang13

Arachnopeon
It was just videos showing what my tarantula is doing. And it’s a glass tank. It’s not up top where the mesh is. My t is hanging this way by the rock background(which is styrofoam) or on the glass. It doesn’t move much

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Here’s snap shots from the video for those that couldn’t play it. Looks like an exoterra enclosure with the foam background. The T appears hung up on the foam background, not the lid.

4401C21E-0115-4C6D-99E6-962BF06B51E7.jpeg 7B4A31ED-4FEB-425E-8805-31B4A089FE3A.png

Dorifto

He who moists xD
We need to download the videos in order to see them properly, don't know why.

Looks pretty strange tbh. I see a lot of condensation down low in the corner, maybe the T is suffocated?

Any more info? Temp, your climate etc

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
From the two screen shots Craig73 posted, I can't make out much in the first one except the moisture on the glass. The second one looks like the spider may just be exploring, but I see water on the plants too. I'm willing to bet you need to ventilate that enclosure to dry it out. Have you read Viper69's or Venom1080's care guides for avics yet?

queenang13

Arachnopeon
I have ventilation through the front and top, the temp is 70 degrees and the humidity is around 80. I have been trying to allow it to dry out but when I take the plastic cover off the top where the mesh is the humidity drops to 60-50..

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I have ventilation through the front and top, the temp is 70 degrees and the humidity is around 80. I have been trying to allow it to dry out but when I take the plastic cover off the top where the mesh is the humidity drops to 60-50..
Chasing temperature and high humidity numbers will likely kill it, allow as much ventilation as possible, keeping Aviculariinae in high temp and humidity is a death trap with little ventilation . And replace that mesh with drilled acrylic.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Never block the ventilation, always allow a great air movement. Chasing specific humidity number causes that, problems. Because to chase those numbers you are ignoring other factors way more important, like ventilation.

If for some reason your house is too dry, simply add moisture more often, not more quantity. Too damp/soaked conditions are not ideal too, because in case of not having enough ventilation, the humidity will raise so much that it will saturate the air, suffocating the T. Imagine that air like the air of a wet sauna. So if you see condensation, keep an eye on it.

queenang13

Arachnopeon
Never block the ventilation, always allow a great air movement. Chasing specific humidity number causes that, problems. Because to chase those numbers you are ignoring other factors way more important, like ventilation.

If for some reason your house is too dry, simply add moisture more often, not more quantity. Too damp/soaked conditions are not ideal too, because in case of not having enough ventilation, the humidity will raise so much that it will saturate the air, suffocating the T. Imagine that air like the air of a wet sauna. So if you see condensation, keep an eye on it.
I took the plastic cover halfway off last night, the humidity dropped to about 60 FAST, but by this morning was back up to about 70. I plan to take it all the way off today and will let things settle. The condensation looks to be clearing up more and my t is still hanging by the one leg but the other legs are not curled underneath it or anything(I think it may be a molt but again I am new to this) I also have two water dishes and a spray bottle I use to help keep moisture(t uses one dish to drink from) the other kind of is just there.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
60-70 are very good conditions, so do not worry about, unless it reaches low 40-30s etc obviously.

Is the T reactive to any stimulus?

queenang13

Arachnopeon
60-70 are very good conditions, so do not worry about, unless it reaches low 40-30s etc obviously.

Is the T reactive to any stimulus?
Thank you for the advice and help. I appreciate it. Hearing so many things from google searches I figured a chat about animals with experienced people would be my best bet.
I have not tried interacting with the t since the 4th(did move and change locations) but if it is premolt I did not want to stress it out anymore than it probably already is. I am just worried with it hanging, I do not want my t to injure itself.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Thank you for the advice and help. I appreciate it. Hearing so many things from google searches I figured a chat about animals with experienced people would be my best bet.
I have not tried interacting with the t since the 4th(did move and change locations) but if it is premolt I did not want to stress it out anymore than it probably already is. I am just worried with it hanging, I do not want my t to injure itself.
No, you should check if it's right, two days hanging from one leg doesn't sound normal. They can lay/hang on strange postures, but that one doesn't look normal to me, at least not for so long.

So I'd give her a support using something for it, just in case she is on trouble. But first check if she is responsive with a soft brush.

queenang13

Arachnopeon
No, you should check if it's right, two days hanging from one leg doesn't sound normal. They can lay/hang on strange postures, but that one doesn't look normal to me, at least not for so long.

So I'd give her a support using something for it, just in case she is on trouble. But first check if she is responsive with a soft brush.
I tried to lightly poke my t and it is not moving but still sticking by one paw. It’s not flinching or anything. It is dead?

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Sorry for your loss. Don't let it discourage you from sticking with the hobby!!