Tarantula for mom!

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am going to the reptile expo in melville (Long Island) this sunday (anyone else going?) and I think I definatly want to get my mom a sling! I would take care of it for her but like let her pick it out, name it and call it hers. She says no but it's not a choice!:D. My goal would be to get her to be calm around it and to lose her fear (she has mixed feelings of fascination and "keep it away") and my ultimate goal would be to some day have her touch it and handle it without there being a risk of her being traumatized (I need to take things VERY slow lol). Any suggestions for docile slings (also docile as adults) I heard that pink zebra beauty (I hear SUPER docile) is skittish as slings, is this true? So any calm, slow sling suggestions? she would be more calm around a baby.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I'd go with something a little larger than a sling - they look more like Ts (fuzzy and cute) and less like regular spiders.

I got a 3" PZB, and he's fairly calm. But a lot of time it's the one spider, not always the species.

You never know! Good luck!

Marga

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You're kidding. Right? There is no such thing as a 100% calm sling. Just resign yourself to the fact that it isn't going to happen. Now, we may resume looking at good species suitable for a beginner that wishes to attempt handling.

The best species I know of is the Grammostola aureostriata. It does get a bit bigger, but is more consistent with tolerating handling well when compared to most of the others out there.

Of course, Avicularia avicularia isn't bad either. They move slightly faster, but are adorable with their pink "tennis-shoes". Females simply find them irresistible.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Of course, Avicularia avicularia isn't bad either. They move slightly faster, but are adorable with their pink "tennis-shoes". Females simply find them irresistible.
LOL... not all women like pink, nor nail polish... I like my pinktoe, but not for her pink toes. I like her dark, shiny hair. The toes are not the draw!

Marga

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOL... not all women like pink, nor nail polish... I like my pinktoe, but not for her pink toes. I like her dark, shiny hair. The toes are not the draw!

Marga
Well, for one reason or another, women really like Avics. If there is a lady who utterly dispises spiders. All I have to do is whip out one of these beauties and it's practically guaranteed that lady will fall in love with it.

It's no small wonder...the Avicularia avicularia is the magic arachnid.

Plus, if you're a single guy, this CAN and WILL help you get a date. ;)

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
agree

Gramastola Pulchripes or Brachypelma smithi are my 2 preferred docile tarantulas

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gramastola Pulchripes or Brachypelma smithi are my 2 preferred docile tarantulas
The Gramastola I will agree with... not sure about the Smithi.. I have had three they all kicked hairs. I still have one female Smithi, she is beautiful to look at but does not like messed with at all.

SpiderDane

Arachnopeon
My mom bought a C. cyaneopubescens sling a month ago.

Her first T :D I´m taking the general care of it, because my dad hates spiders hehehe {D

I agree on the Grammastola, but don´t let her buy a G. rosea sling(IMHO). They are sweet and easy to keep, but they grow super, super, super slow :p

Simply boring slings :eek:

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds like G. pulchripes. I had one that passed away as a sling (DKS:() she was most attached to that T.