Tarantula fell and now we can’t find him

Nightlost

Arachnopeon
My cousin took out my Grammostola pulchra to look at him and accidentally dropped him when I wasn’t looking
We both heard a plop but we can’t find any pieces of him; we’ve moved everything but the furniture around his enclosure and still have found nothing. I’ve set up a box in the corner next to his terrarium as a temporary hide for him (if he’s still alive)
Is there anything else we should do to attempt to find him? Or any recommendations on where we should look

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If they're okay they're likely already hiding and won't know/think to try to find the hide you set up by the cage for them. I would look under everything in the room but if they fell and got injured (which depending on the height of the fall a ruptured abdomen is likely) they probably won't be far away. Check small crevices and dark spaces gently and carefully

Editing to add: I would prepare yourself to find them not okay. Fingers crossed they're fine, but there is the possibility they're going to be dead or severely injured.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Both of you are <at fault>. You for allowing it, and your cousin for dropping it. And don’t tell me you weren’t “aware” because you admitted to hearing it. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:

Nightlost

Arachnopeon
Both of you are <at fault>. You for allowing it, and your cousin for dropping it. And don’t tell me you weren’t “aware” because you admitted to hearing it. 🤦‍♂️
I admitted to hearing it because I’m not going to act like I didn’t and make excuses for what happened when asking for genuine help on what to do

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I admitted to hearing it because I’m not going to act like I didn’t and make excuses for what happened when asking for genuine help on what to do
Roundhouse your cousin in the jaw for disrespecting your property for starters. No I’m not joking. And don’t act like you weren’t aware of what they were doing. I wasn’t born in a barn. And secondly, start tearing things apart and looking for your tarantula. If if took any injury from the fall, time is of the essence if you want it to survive.

Last edited:

Nightlost

Arachnopeon
If they're okay they're likely already hiding and won't know/think to try to find the hide you set up by the cage for them. I would look under everything in the room but if they fell and got injured (which depending on the height of the fall a ruptured abdomen is likely) they probably won't be far away. Check small crevices and dark spaces gently and carefully

Editing to add: I would prepare yourself to find them not okay. Fingers crossed they're fine, but there is the possibility they're going to be dead or severely injured.
Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it🙏

Irithyllian

Arachnosquire
Mistakes happen, a portion of it was out of your control. I had a M. balfouri sling escape into my recliner and had to end up cutting it up with a box knife but I did find it, T’s are very good at blending into corners and crevices, some pokies for me can be in plain sight and I can miss them. Maybe if you leave the room dark and quiet for an hour go in with a flash light and see if the T has come out somewhere, it might feel more comfortable when it’s in the under the cover of darkness. I’d also use a catch cup or Tupperware and something flat to get it back in the enclosure it may be a little shaken up after that and more bolty and defensive.

Don’t let this put you off, mistakes happen! 👌🏻Learning from them happens to us all, that balfouri scare for me was a little stressful too, even a cobalt blue I bought from the pet store long ago escaped and fell from about 5 feet on a tile floor and lived, I couldn’t believe it happened when it did at the pet store. I’m guessing your T is alive, and I am sure you will find it.

Nightlost

Arachnopeon
Roundhouse your cousin in the jaw for disrespecting your property for starters. No I’m not joking. And don’t act like you weren’t aware of what they were doing. I wasn’t born in a barn. And secondly, start tearing things apart and looking for your tarantula. If if took any injury from the fall, time is of the essence if you want it to survive.
Again I admitted to hearing him fall and have even said that I wasn’t going to make excuses for what happened
I turned to this cite because when I was researching his species people were helpful which is why i came here again to ask for help from people who are more experienced

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Mistakes happen, a portion of it was out of your control. I had a M. balfouri sling escape into my recliner and had to end up cutting it up with a box knife but I did find it, T’s are very good at blending into corners and crevices, some pokies for me can be in plain sight and I can miss them. Maybe if you leave the room dark and quiet for an hour go in with a flash light and see if the T has come out somewhere, it might feel more comfortable when it’s in the under the cover of darkness. I’d also use a catch cup or Tupperware and something flat to get it back in the enclosure it may be a little shaken up after that and more bolty and defensive.

Don’t let this put you off, mistakes happen! 👌🏻Learning from them happens to us all, that balfouri scare for me was a little stressful too, even a cobalt blue I bought from the pet store long ago escaped and fell from about 5 feet on a tile floor and lived, I couldn’t believe it happened when it did at the pet store. I’m guessing your T is alive, and I am sure you will find it.
Im glad to hear you took my advice and used the box cutter and cut that couch up. And you’re better off for it. I commend you.

Again I admitted to hearing him fall and have even said that I wasn’t going to make excuses for what happened
I turned to this cite because when I was researching his species people were helpful which is why i came here again to ask for help from people who are more experienced
So you’re telling me, your cousin was in your room, messing with your tarantula, and you were just completely unaware to it? I don’t believe it.

Nightlost

Arachnopeon

Thank you for the advice🙏 So far I’ve looked under all my furniture/moved most of my stuff into the living room in attempts to find him with no avail so I’m hoping that with the lights off he’ll come out unscathed

So you’re telling me, your cousin was in your room, messing with your tarantula, and you were just completely unaware to it? I don’t believe it.
I never said you had to believe it but I came here looking for advice and not for someone to be <obnoxious> and make an already stressful situation worse

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I never said you had to believe it but I came here looking for advice and not for someone to be <obnoxious> and make an already stressful situation worse
You get what you give.I don’t like being lied to. Be more responsible and you won’t get treated like a child.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How big is your G. pulchra that fell btw? I'd be careful when moving stuff out of the room in case you either a. Injure them while they're hiding or b. Carry them in their hiding space out of the room.

On a side note, getting defensive about what people have to say and calling them names for being blunt with you about your mistake isn't going to help your spider or you. All you can do at this point is find them as quickly as possible and just learn from this. Also, do seriously smack your cousin and don't let them interact with your pet again.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
If you haven't already done so, seal off the room so it can't wander out beneath the door or through vents. That will narrow the search area.

Keep cats or other animals out.

This is a terrestrial species, so it probably won't climb high, especially if injured.

Tarantulas tend to wander more at night. Set out some water and makeshift hiding spots, and turn off the lights.

Filthywhite

Arachnopeon
Any updates? Did you find your G. pulchra?

I can’t imagine what actually losing a tarantula must feel like, as in lost and uncertain of their fate. I am very sorry to hear about your situation!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Any updates? Did you find your G. pulchra?

I can’t imagine what actually losing a tarantula must feel like, as in lost and uncertain of their fate. I am very sorry to hear about your situation!
It’s their fault. I have no sympathy for them.

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
"I know people say don't handle your tarantula, but I'm careful and know what I'm doing."

Another tale of handling turned tragedy

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All of that could have been avoided if the OP had followed the Golden Rule : Do not handle. Ever.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
It seems like everyone offered some solid advice, so I cannot offer much since most of the advice is already given. I only have one question, and that it how large is this specimen? The size of this specimen could give us a general idea of where this spider is or could be.