Tarantula Feet Thread

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
Ever since I've been in the hobby, I have always been fascinated by the tarantula foot (hence the username.) Feel free to post pics of you tarantula's tarsus pads! (What an odd thing to say :rofl:)

L parahybana
P1070720-01.jpeg
P1070721-01.jpeg

T albopilosus
P1070704-01.jpeg
P1070304-1-01.jpeg

C marshalli
P1070687-01.jpeg
P1070605-01.jpeg

A chalcodes
P1070613-01.jpeg

H gigas

And a drawing of one (my pfp)
20210402_215002-01.jpeg

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
Cute! I don’t have any pics, but I think their feet are adorable. Like fluffy slippers. Love your pics and the drawing is fab. :D

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
Took this last night while i was experimenting with camera settings
Monocentropus balfouri
_MG_1687.JPG

dman13760

Arachnosquire
does anyone know if they have the ability to retract the claws on their feet? Or are the claws fixed in place?

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
does anyone know if they have the ability to retract the claws on their feet? Or are the claws fixed in place?
Yes, they can retract their claws, as you can see on my C marshalli in my first post. The feet of the A chalcodes and H gigas have the claws retracted too.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Also noticed that my lp has little spikes on her tarsal claws, anyone know what these are or what purpose they serve?
Biology of Spiders doesn't specify, but since many spiders' tarsal claws are serrated or bristled, I would theorize they help improve grip.

Biology of Spiders said:
Other autapomorphies of the Araneoidea are serrated bristles around the tarsal claws (used for grasping the silk thread; and a typical scaly surface structure of the cuticle.
Biology of Spiders said:
The middle claw is important for web spiders, because they use it to catch hold of the silk threads of their webs; in fact, only the middle hook and not the large main claws grasps the thread. The thread is pushed by the middle claw against serrated bristles situated opposite the claws. There it is held, snagged in the little notches of these bristles. To release the thread, the middle claw is lifted by the musculus levator praetarsi; the inherent elasticity of the thread simply causes it to spring back out of the clasp of the claw.
The ridges on the claws may be a vestigial feature:

Biology of Spiders said:
Two claws must be the derived condition. It is assumed that the third claw (middle claw) was reduced in several spider families during the transition from a life in a web to free hunting.

amblygrey

Arachnopeon
Ever since I've been in the hobby, I have always been fascinated by the tarantula foot (hence the username.) Feel free to post pics of you tarantula's tarsus pads! (What an odd thing to say :rofl:)

L parahybana
View attachment 397175
View attachment 397176

T albopilosus
View attachment 397177
View attachment 397178

C marshalli
View attachment 397179
View attachment 397180

A chalcodes
View attachment 397181

H gigas