tarantula feeding

Pelma098

Arachnopeon
i just got a set of tarantula from a friend and he sent me a 2" chaco golden knee 2" smithi and a 4" and 3" Lasiodora Parahybana how often and how many blatta lateralis ( it is the only feeders available right now, i have adults and sub adults) should i gave it. thank you very much

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Congratulations on your recent acquisitions, very nice.

I feed my slings twice a week, until they get to about 3” +/-. Then I cut back to 1 time per week or less. I usually feed my slings small to medium sized B.lateralis roaches, none of my slings are very large. My slings are mostly between 1.75” and 2.75”...though I have a moulting cycle going on with my Phormictopus, so they may now be greater than 3” and getting rehoused into adult enclosures.

I have a B.dubia colony, but so far, I have not pulled to heavily from that colony for feeding. When I did feed, I pulled from the smaller sizes.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As often as they will eat, I let the T decide if it's hungry. I judge this based on behavior and abdomen size.

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i just got a set of tarantula from a friend and he sent me a 2" chaco golden knee 2" smithi and a 4" and 3" Lasiodora Parahybana how often and how many blatta lateralis ( it is the only feeders available right now, i have adults and sub adults) should i gave it. thank you very much
There isn't quite a fixed schedule. If it's convenient, offer food twice a week but remove food if not eaten. If not, once a week is fine.
With dubia / lateralis roaches, feed a prey size longer than abdomen but shorter than body length per session. You probably can get away with roaches about the same size as the T body since roaches tend to be soft and relatively harmless. (the same cannot be said with crickets).

Pelma098

Arachnopeon
Congratulations on your recent acquisitions, very nice.

I feed my slings twice a week, until they get to about 3” +/-. Then I cut back to 1 time per week or less. I usually feed my slings small to medium sized B.lateralis roaches, none of my slings are very large. My slings are mostly between 1.75” and 2.75”...though I have a moulting cycle going on with my Phormictopus, so they may now be greater than 3” and getting rehoused into adult enclosures.

I have a B.dubia colony, but so far, I have not pulled to heavily from that colony for feeding. When I did feed, I pulled from the smaller sizes.
Thank you so much!!

Pelma098

Arachnopeon
There isn't quite a fixed schedule. If it's convenient, offer food twice a week but remove food if not eaten. If not, once a week is fine.
With dubia / lateralis roaches, feed a prey size longer than abdomen but shorter than body length per session. You probably can get away with roaches about the same size as the T body since roaches tend to be soft and relatively harmless. (the same cannot be said with crickets).
Thank you so much