Tarantula feeding question.

arthome

Arachnopeon
Hello, I just got my first tarantula a while ago ( curly hair tarantula/ Brachypelma albopilosum) and she is about 3/4” and has not eatin anything I gave her. She is shying away from The food, ( Dubai roaches, cricket) I am getting kinda worried that something might be wrong. But she could also be in going into premolt . Any ideas of whats going on? Thanks.

Csf33

Arachnopeon
Hello,
I am very new to this hobby, and I recently received a curly hair about the same size. When I feed it I generally cut a 1/2 inch dubia in half and leave it in the enclosure. After a little while it usually finds the food. It could be stress from rehousing or shipping (but I don’t know how or when you got it), or it could very likely be pre molt. I am not an expert when it comes to this, but I hope I was able to help.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Keep offering prekilled prey items every few days and see if she'll eat. She may be in premolt, or just stressed from being in a new environment. Unless her abdomen looks very small or shriveled, I wouldn't be too concerned about one week of not eating.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Please provide pictures as we have no visuals of how your tarantula sling is doing or if something is wrong. Also have you tried pre-killed prey? Just a heads up, but it's no longer called Brachypelma albopilosum as there was a recent revision of the Brachypelma genus that moved the red rump Brachypelma's into their own genus called the Tliltocatl genus. So it's now called Tliltocatl albopilosus. Also it's not called "dubai" roaches, it's called "Dubia" roaches. Dubia roaches come from south america and not Dubai just for clarification ;).

arthome

Arachnopeon
Hello,
I am very new to this hobby, and I recently received a curly hair about the same size. When I feed it I generally cut a 1/2 inch dubia in half and leave it in the enclosure. After a little while it usually finds the food. It could be stress from rehousing or shipping (but I don’t know how or when you got it), or it could very likely be pre molt. I am not an expert when it comes to this, but I hope I was able to help.
Ok thank you, I got her from a breeder in a store ( she is not wild caught) she is probably a little stressed. Thanks.

Please provide pictures as we have no visuals of how your tarantula sling is doing or if something is wrong. Also have you tried pre-killed prey? Just a heads up, but it's no longer called Brachypelma albopilosum as there was a recent revision of the Brachypelma genus that moved the red rump Brachypelma's into their own genus called the Tliltocatl genus. So it's now called Tliltocatl albopilosus. Also it's not called "dubai" roaches, it's called "Dubia" roaches. Dubia roaches come from south america and not Dubai just for clarification ;).
Yes I will provide a photo. Also no I have not tried pre killed prey i will though. And also I did not know that there was a name change that you for informing me, and also the Dubai roach was a typo lol. Thank you so much.

Attachments

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Having seen the pic I'm assuming that by 3/4" you actually mean 3-4 inches (3/4" is three quarters of an inch). Your tarantula can easily go several months without eating, it's nothing to worry about, just keep the substrate slightly moist and make sure it has water available.

Also it's not called "dubai" roaches, it's called "Dubia" roaches. Dubia roaches come from south america and not Dubai just for clarification ;).
Autocorrect shenanigans (guessing the OP is using their phone to access the site).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello, I just got my first tarantula a while ago ( curly hair tarantula/ Brachypelma albopilosum) and she is about 3/4” and has not eatin anything I gave her. She is shying away from The food, ( Dubai roaches, cricket) I am getting kinda worried that something might be wrong. But she could also be in going into premolt . Any ideas of whats going on? Thanks.
Could be full, who knows. No pics, and no other info, thus not much else to write.

arthome

Arachnopeon
Update. I made a mistake it is not a sling it is a 3” or 4” tarantula. I kept offering her food but she will not eat. I think she is okay but I am yet a little worried.

mjzheng

Arachnosquire
Don't worry. They can go months and months with no food and yours doesn't look skinny . It might not be hungry or might be in premolt

Dorifto

He who moists xD
If you "overfeed" too fast your T this will happen, in some species that behaviour is more present than in others.

E.g. Brachypelmas, Tliltocatl, Grammostolas do this very frequently. So do not feed a lot in a short period, and it will take preys longer.

I "overfeeded" my Pulchra too fast and "fasted" for a year before molting...