Tarantula fact of the day

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Also, fun idea, little side note, when we get 365 different facts, we make one of those calendars you rip a page off of every day, and everyone who contributes gets a free spider with the proceeds (within reasonable cost) and leftover profits get donated to a tarantula research team or something spider related. Probably some marketing flaws in there, but thats not my major :happy:.
I completely forgot i said this.
Ironically, i switched my major to business since then.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Theraphosa blondi is larger than any spider in the fossil record. The whole "giant dog sized prehistoric spiders" thing is a total bit.

Not care related but I thought it was pretty cool

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Speaking of Theraphosa.. blondi is not the largest of the three. The three are about equal with maybe stirmi being the largest.

Any difference in adult females is likely down to the specimen.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Some tarantulas will fire a stream of faeces in order to deter an attacker, they're surprisingly good shots as well.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
The funny thing is that I only remembered this because I got poop sniped by a C. versicolor juvenile yesterday :rofl:
I'm lucky that my Avic never fires her butt cannon in self defense, but she surely loves target practice on the cage door.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Speaking of Theraphosa.. blondi is not the largest of the three. The three are about equal with maybe stirmi being the largest.

Any difference in adult females is likely down to the specimen.
I probably should've said "that one individual AF T. blondi which currently holds the world record of heaviest spider is bigger than any prehistoric spiders discovered"