Tarantula Exhibit @ L.A. Zoo

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"The Good, the Bad and the Fuzzy! Spider City at the L.A. Zoo - Now Open!! See Amazing spiders at the L.A. Zoo's creepiest exhibit ever."

Has anyone in southern CA been to this exhibit yet? Just curious what it was like before i go.

http://www.lazoo.org/spidercity/

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i don't like how they put the "bad" in there. spiders won't bother you unless you bother them.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
title

They are marketing it toward the usual attitude regarding Ts, all of them are 'bad' and 'creepy'. But if it gets people to at least come in and observe some Ts, then its worthwhile. More people need to get the message that Ts are not 'bad' and can be good and interesting pets.

Shadow Tongue

Arachnopeon
i don't like how they put the "bad" in there. spiders won't bother you unless you bother them.
In the page's defense, it does say: Explore the city and decide for yourself if spiders are heroes or villains.

Anyone of significant intelligence (adults, hopefully) is going to be aware that animals aren't "good" or "evil", anyway.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"Three feet! No matter where you are in the world, that’s how far you are from a spider."

that is kind of badly worded

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure a good number of people here have more impressive collections than does this temporary exhibit. However, I'm willing to bet a good number of these were donations.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure a good number of people here have more impressive collections than does this temporary exhibit. However, I'm willing to bet a good number of these were donations.

That's kind of what i figured. My family has been sponsors and members of the S.D. Zoo & Wild Animal Park for literally 4 generations now so that's the only big zoo i've ever been to. i looked online at the admission fees for LA Zoo and it was really cheap. Maybe i'll check it out anyway.

i think this exhibit can be good for T's depending how it was done. Sure, they use "The Good, the Bad and the Fuzzy" and "creepy" for their promo. Let's be realisitic; that's what Joe Public already thinks. If that's what gets them in to actually learn about them i think it's great. i have a feeling i will be disappointed because it would be a great avenue for educating people about T's and spiders. i am constantly amazed how much so many people open up to learning about T's just after seeing some of my newest exo's. It's not threatening to them, they find the whole process REALLY interesting and then they tend to be really open to hearing, hence learning, more about T's.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
haha be prepared to be shocked :eek: the LA zoo sucks, much like many of the zoos across the U.S. ...i haven't found too many zoos that are on the same level as the SD zoo and W.A.P....soo be warned

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I read someplace (years ago), that every person eats 3 or 4 spiders in their lifetime during sleep...

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
haha be prepared to be shocked :eek: the LA zoo sucks, much like many of the zoos across the U.S. ...i haven't found too many zoos that are on the same level as the SD zoo and W.A.P....soo be warned
Thanks for the warning. i think i'll skip it. i don't know why but i always assumed the L.A. Zoo was similar to S.D. i hate most zoos and seeing animals kept in less than the best conditions. i guess i've been spoiled by S.D. zoo and W.A.P. i practically grew up in their petting zoo!! {D We've always had free access so i went all the time as a kid - a regular weekend for me when i wasn't at Sea World. My grandfather was very good friends with Milt Shedd and George Millay. He donated a huge amount of money toward getting Sea World off the ground. Too bad it went public – maybe i could have been an Orca Whale trainer… :( Sorry, i got off track but i know what you mean about SD Zoo and WAP.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the warning. i think i'll skip it. i don't know why but i always assumed the L.A. Zoo was similar to S.D. i hate most zoos and seeing animals kept in less than the best conditions. i guess i've been spoiled by S.D. zoo and W.A.P. i practically grew up in their petting zoo!! {D We've always had free access so i went all the time as a kid - a regular weekend for me when i wasn't at Sea World. My grandfather was very good friends with Milt Shedd and George Millay. He donated a huge amount of money toward getting Sea World off the ground. Too bad it went public – maybe i could have been an Orca Whale trainer… :( Sorry, i got off track but i know what you mean about SD Zoo and WAP.
i was spoiled too mate belive me....i lived in orange county and was a regular at both...sadly though its a space thing, when i used to visit Chicago alot, i'd tell my friends of the tram rides and how vast many of the sections of the zoo were..(almost like being there)....people didn't belive me, then i'd share my photo's from Africa next to the ones from the WAP:eek: not that much of a difference, ok, ok, maybe the WAP was less dusty sorry lol..........

also remember, the asian elepehant that was killed at the LA zoo from neglect or something like that..that tells you what kind of zoo they are...

tarantulas.com

Arachnopeon
Might not be that bad

We supplied a lot of the tarantulas on display at that exhibit, and I gave them some ideas on cage set-up. I'd like to see pictures if anyone does go see this exhibit. They should have a large blondi, regalis, versicolor, minatrix, parahybana, lividum, crawshayi and a few others. From what I've heard the exhibit is very popular. Anytime the public gets to see some of these more impressive species in person, it can definitely spark interest and add new blood to the hobby. I hope it was done well, and that more zoos can support permanent tarantula displays.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's really cool that you guys did that! I wonder if I can get the Portland Zoo to beef up their display, all they have is G. Rosea and a few walking sticks stuff like that. Oh and roaches.
I'd love to see pics too. Mainly to see how they chose to display them!

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We supplied a lot of the tarantulas on display at that exhibit, and I gave them some ideas on cage set-up. I'd like to see pictures if anyone does go see this exhibit. They should have a large blondi, regalis, versicolor, minatrix, parahybana, lividum, crawshayi and a few others. From what I've heard the exhibit is very popular. Anytime the public gets to see some of these more impressive species in person, it can definitely spark interest and add new blood to the hobby. I hope it was done well, and that more zoos can support permanent tarantula displays.
wow didn't know that???? well then i guess i'll have to support it then lol...its just the LA zoo isn't one of the better zoo's i would recommend people go too..they are a let down in more ways then one...but if you all helped them out, then i'll have to ck it out!!! good to know...:clap: