Tarantula enrichment

Mothcarthy

Arachnopeon
Hey y’all, I have kind of a weird questions. What’re your thoughts on tarantula enrichment? The main way I’ve heard people talk about it is just to periodically break up their webbing for them to redo it. Is this an actual option or does it just cause unnecessary stress?

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
I think T's are best left alone. T's can break their own webs up if they want to.

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
These aren't mentally complex creatures and don't need any sort of stimulation.
Fun fact, a spiders brain is so large it takes up almost all available space in the prosoma. And in some species it’s so large it extends into the first segment of each leg.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Fun fact, a spiders brain is so large it takes up almost all available space in the prosoma. And in some species it’s so large it extends into the first segment of each leg.
Doesn't mean that they have a sense of imagination, suffer from boredom, are capable of understanding that they're playing, or need to be mentally stimulated in order to live healthy lives. Hence the G. rosea which can go ten years without moving.

cold blood

Staff member
Tarantulas are instinctual animals that lack an actual brain, they have a nerve cluster, known as a ganglion.....they do not need enrichment.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I think you are confusing the brain with the digestive tract. If that is a wrong assumption, I would like to know where you got your facts so I may review them myself. The brain is fairly tiny and takes up a small area in the anterior region of the prosoma between the eyes and the sternum. It is the digestive tract which so extensive that it takes up the majority of the space in the prosoma and extends into the coxae of the legs.

Tarantulas are instinctual animals that lack an actual brain, they have a nerve cluster, known as a ganglion.....they do not need enrichment.
Well how do you define what a brain is? Everyone seems to dismiss the complexity of a spider brain by referring to their central nervous system as ganglia. The spider brain is composed of two interconnected regions called the supra and sub esophageal ganglia. The 'supra' ganglion is the 'smart' region which is responsible for sensory input and cognition, where the 'sub' ganglion is the 'dumb' region responsible for motor functions. Both regions work together to function as one organ that can referred to as a brain. However, in the academic literature, biologists use the term 'brain', when referring to spiders, in different ways. Sometimes it is used to refer to the supra esophageal ganglion specifically and other times it is the whole organ. Other times the term 'brain' isn't used, and central nervous system (CNS) is preferred.

Would it surprise anyone to know that a tarantula brain and a jumping spider brain have the same basic anatomy? When this is considered, why would a tarantula be 'dumber' than a jumping spider which are known to be excellent problem solvers? Maybe the shape isn't the important part, but the density of nerve clusters in either or both ganglia. There is more to the story of spider neurobiology than meets the eye and I wouldn't be so quick to use it as a reason a tarantula doesn't need enrichment.

cold blood

Staff member
Well how do you define what a brain is?
Its not up to me, that is for science to define, and they have, and while the ganglion is the "brain" of a t, its still not a brain as its defined, which is why its technical term is not brain, but rather a ganglion.
Everyone seems to dismiss the complexity of a spider brain by referring to their central nervous system as ganglia.
Its not a dismissal of anything, its merely how its scientifically defined. A ganglion is still a pretty darn complex organ.
Both regions work together to function as one organ that can referred to as a brain. However, in the academic literature, biologists use the term 'brain', when referring to spiders, in different ways
Sure, the term brain is sometimes used because, to the t, that's basically what it serves as and "brain" is more easily understood by the masses, but its still not technically a brain....like when people often use the term kleenex, because its what's most commonly used, even if its technically called a tissue.

According to the national library of medicine:

" A brain, a neural structure located in the head, differs from a ganglion by the following characteristics: (1) a brain subserves the entire body, not just restricted segments; (2) it has functionally specialized parts; (3) it is bilobar; (4) commissures and neurons form the surface with axons in the central core; (5) interneurons are more numerous than primary motor or primary sensory neurons; and (6) multisynaptic rather than monosynaptic circuits predominate...."

The Spider House

Arachnolord
Enrichment as in stimulation of the brain, IMU. There's apparently ping-pong balls, lol.
I think I may have started something with ping pong balls. Ha ha

In case any missed it (link to video attached) there was certainly some form of stimulation/interaction here.

Whether that was play, prey or some maternal instinct (confusion with egg sac) who can tell and I for one will not speculate. But it was real and the video proves it so just sit back and enjoy it for what it is 😊

Last edited:

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
So glad you posted this @The Spider House ! I wasn’t gonna post someone else’s video. Kinda wonder, too, if maybe she was trying to get it out of “her land”? I put some extra sphagnum moss in my juvie genic’s enclosure and watched her go over to check it out, then pick it up and deposit it on the other side like a petulant child, lol.

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
I think you are confusing the brain with the digestive tract. If that is a wrong assumption, I would like to know where you got your facts so I may review them myself. The brain is fairly tiny and takes up a small area in the anterior region of the prosoma between the eyes and the sternum. It is the digestive tract which so extensive that it takes up the majority of the space in the prosoma and extends into the coxae of the legs.

Well how do you define what a brain is? Everyone seems to dismiss the complexity of a spider brain by referring to their central nervous system as ganglia. The spider brain is composed of two interconnected regions called the supra and sub esophageal ganglia. The 'supra' ganglion is the 'smart' region which is responsible for sensory input and cognition, where the 'sub' ganglion is the 'dumb' region responsible for motor functions. Both regions work together to function as one organ that can referred to as a brain. However, in the academic literature, biologists use the term 'brain', when referring to spiders, in different ways. Sometimes it is used to refer to the supra esophageal ganglion specifically and other times it is the whole organ. Other times the term 'brain' isn't used, and central nervous system (CNS) is preferred.

Would it surprise anyone to know that a tarantula brain and a jumping spider brain have the same basic anatomy? When this is considered, why would a tarantula be 'dumber' than a jumping spider which are known to be excellent problem solvers? Maybe the shape isn't the important part, but the density of nerve clusters in either or both ganglia. There is more to the story of spider neurobiology than meets the eye and I wouldn't be so quick to use it as a reason a tarantula doesn't need enrichment.

And there are a few others I’m trying to find from a few years after that

The Spider House

Arachnolord
So glad you posted this @The Spider House ! I wasn’t gonna post someone else’s video. Kinda wonder, too, if maybe she was trying to get it out of “her land”? I put some extra sphagnum moss in my juvie genic’s enclosure and watched her go over to check it out, then pick it up and deposit it on the other side like a petulant child, lol.
NP 👍
That's another possibility yeah. I guess we will never know 🤣

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
With tarantulas, I think of enrichment as giving the animal a chance to exhibit its natural behaviors. For example- deep substrate for burrowing, lots of available hiding places, and maybe a naturalistic enclosure to mimic its wild habitat. For a fossorial species, maybe adding something like nightcrawlers (sourced from a reliable place) into the spider's diet as a treat every so often. We could keep them in very simple, minimalist setups and meet their basic needs quite easily, but why not put in a little bit of extra effort to allow the spider to express more of its instinctual behaviors? In my opinion this is appropriate enrichment for tarantulas.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey y’all, I have kind of a weird questions. What’re your thoughts on tarantula enrichment? The main way I’ve heard people talk about it is just to periodically break up their webbing for them to redo it. Is this an actual option or does it just cause unnecessary stress?
Its a stupid idea to tear down their web!!

I think I may have started something with ping pong balls. Ha ha

In case any missed it (link to video attached) there was certainly some form of stimulation/interaction here.

Whether that was play, prey or some maternal instinct (confusion with egg sac) who can tell and I for one will not speculate. But it was real and the video proves it so just sit back and enjoy it for what it is 😊

You did not start anything with ping pong balls

That idea was on the forum from Stan long befor you!