Tarantula Enclosures??

Shorty

Arachnopeon
I usually keep my tarantulas and scorpions in 10 or 5.5 gallon glass terrariums but im losing A LOT of space and even some money. I know some people keep them in carriers i guess you could call them but im just not sure i mean i have used them for subadults but im just not sure about an adult. Well i always try to get the best for my animals and i just want to know what else i could keep them in. I do understand that Ts and scorps do not require alot of space but i feel they do since ive always kept reptiles but once again if you could please help me becuase i do want to expand my collection. thank you. and it would be awsome if you could include some pics maybe. Thank you again.

Last edited:

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
I usually keep my tarantulas and scorpions in 10 or 5.5 gallon glass terrariums but im losing A LOT of space and even some money. I know some people keep them in carriers i guess you could call them but im just not sure i mean i have used them for subadults but im just not sure about an adult. Well i always try to get the best for my animals and i just want to know what else i could keep them in. I do understand that Ts and scorps do not require alot of space but i feel they do since ive always kept reptiles but once again if you could please help me becuase i do want to expand my collection. thank you. and it would be awsome if you could include some pics maybe. Thank you again.
search tarantula enclosure thread

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Any rubbermaid or tupperware type container can make and effective tarantula enclosure.

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok thanks and that would be good for mature tarantulas
Absolutely! The file sized totes are big enough for any adult tarantula (perhaps with an exception for the really big 10+" ones, depending on your keeping preferences).

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's an H. longipes in a 12"W, 15"L, 11"D tub, and it is really overkill.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I personally don't like containers that aren't extremely clear. Exo terra breeding boxes work great, and are stackable. The feeding door is great because you don't have to disturb your tarantulas when you want to drop in dinner!

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I personally don't like containers that aren't extremely clear. Exo terra breeding boxes work great, and are stackable. The feeding door is great because you don't have to disturb your tarantulas when you want to drop in dinner!
The only problem is that they are basically a glorified kritter keeper, and tarantulas can get feet and legs hung in the ventilation slots. You also can't keep an arboreal tarantula in one.

Shorty

Arachnopeon
once again thank you so much, just got the containers and will probalbly be rehoming my Ts this weekend.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My G pulchra adults are in 10gal and use every inch of them.
It really depends on the species you are housing.

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My G pulchra adults are in 10gal and use every inch of them.
It really depends on the species you are housing.
This is true, however a ten gallon tank is going to be heavier than a rubbermaid of the same size and will cost 4 times more (with a lid). Most tarantula species will sit in one spot if they are comfortable, so a lot of space isn't really a requirement.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
ALOT of space very unnecessary and it is well known that it can cause stress. Most live in burrows in the wild and never wander around unless they are searching for a new hide/burrow.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This is true, however a ten gallon tank is going to be heavier than a rubbermaid of the same size and will cost 4 times more (with a lid). Most tarantula species will sit in one spot if they are comfortable, so a lot of space isn't really a requirement.
ALOT of space very unnecessary and it is well known that it can cause stress. Most live in burrows in the wild and never wander around unless they are searching for a new hide/burrow.
True flamesbane. But I have the space, and like the clarity of glass over plastic. Acrylic would be nice, and could be tailor made to the dimensions that would best suit me needs, but they VERY expensive.

Also true Falk, but it is also known that many terrestrial species will wander 1-2 meters from their burrow marking their territory, laying trip lines, and actively hunting prey. Not all species are "rocks" living in "holes".

Apparently I am doing something right. I get bald G. pulchra from other keepers, they molt and never go bald again. They actively work to rearrange and web their environment; do not run, kick, or pose when i open their enclosures for maintenance. Clearly my specimen are not stressed.

I agree for many species the extra space is not needed. Just saying that for G. pulchra 10gal aquarium, or equivalent, works great.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Schoolman: of course a big terrarium can be used but it will need a good setup with more plants, roots etc. I wish i could give a better explanation but im sure you know what i mean.