Tarantula Enclosure

MissinTxtr

Arachnopeon
Hello, I am looking to get a tarantula and I'm gathering the supplies at the moment but I've hit a snag. I was planning on making a acrylic enclosure myself but I realized it was much more expensive that I expected. So does anyone know of an affordable enclosure option that isn't something like a plastic bin from Walmart. I'm looking to spend around $50.

-MissinTxtr

Risto N

Arachnopeon
What species have you been looking at? What size tarantula? With the answers to those questions, you'd definitely get better suggestions.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Display boxes from hobby lobby work great, look great, and are dirt cheap with the 40% off coupon.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
In my petstore (and I am sure many more) they sell small 5-10 gallon aquariums without the lid for $20 or less. Then, with the extra thirty, you can spend making a really cool lid from thin acrylic. There are many tutorials from a lot of people to do it, so it should be easy enough to do :D Hope you can make a great enclosure!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello, I am looking to get a tarantula and I'm gathering the supplies at the moment but I've hit a snag. I was planning on making a acrylic enclosure myself but I realized it was much more expensive that I expected. So does anyone know of an affordable enclosure option that isn't something like a plastic bin from Walmart. I'm looking to spend around $50.

-MissinTxtr
Generally speaking this doesn't exist in my opinion that doesn't require modification. What species are you looking to get? W/out knowing that, a specific recommendation cannot be made.

MissinTxtr

Arachnopeon
Generally speaking this doesn't exist in my opinion that doesn't require modification. What species are you looking to get? W/out knowing that, a specific recommendation cannot be made.
I'm looking to get a brachypelma albopilosum.

mitty

Arachnopeon
What size are you looking at? We know the species now we need to know the size. If it's a sling, you can get away with deli cups if you don't mind looks. There are different sizes that you can pick up off Amazon for incredibly cheap prices. https://www.amazon.com/Reditainer-E...rd_wg=7CO48&psc=1&refRID=FAGSEMAV2BY05NB5XT87 This link is to 16 oz. deli cups. This package comes with a total of 36 of these little babies. If you look around on Amazon, you can find smaller quantities of these such as a 24 pack.

If you're looking for a better looking - cheap - acrylic enclosure, @Ghost56 was exactly right. Hobby Lobby acrylic display cases are cheap and they also look very appealing. The lids are sometimes very hard to take off and put back on. There are numerous options with these as well depending on the size of your B. albopilosum. Here's links to a few of them that could possibly work for you. http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Model-Kits/Display-Cases/Clear-Baseball-Display-Case/p/910 - http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Ho...tball-Display-Case-with-Plastic-Base/p/108342 - http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Ho...Clear-Display-Case-with-Plastic-Base/p/108341 Also, with hobby lobby cases, you can use a 40% off coupon on your enclosure purchase.

I hope this has helped you out a little bit. For better recommendations, please let us know what size you're getting! Best of luck to ya.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You'll have an easier time w/terrestrials. Your best bet may be Dalle Craft. OR if you are getting adult female, a small fish tank no more than 10 gallon with a plexiglass lid on top, and PLENTY of sub so the sub to lid distance is no more than 1.5x the Ts DLS. Regardless, you almost always have to make modification unless you are spending $$$ money on a dedicated T container. In short what you want at your price point doesn't exist generally.

If you don't care about having see through cage walls, get a Really Useful Box. I LOVE them. You can mod the top w/a plexi sheet so at least you get a clear top.