Tarantula emergency bite kit / standby kit??

TLover007

Arachnosquire
Hi i have heard some guys keep emergency kits on hand like an epi-pen and more this and other guys just dont care. What are your precautionary measures regarding T bites??

scorpio948

Arachnopeon
My precautionary measures are: Don't be stupid, think before you act, and always respect the animal you are working with

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I keep Benadryl and other allergy meds on hand, but that's sheer coincidence as I have actual allergies. The best precaution is to simply be careful; never handling is a great way to prevent bites in the first place and being ready to contain them is the second line of defense. While certainly a T can get on you, for most Ts that's easy to prevent. My Euathlus waltzes out of her container almost anytime I open it, but while it's not my intent to hold her believe me I can keep her from getting out if I want. With Ts that it would be a much bigger deal to get out (my Poecs, OBT,etc) I make sure they're huddled in their burrow before even opening the lid.

Last edited:

TLover007

Arachnosquire
I myself also have nothing with me except maybe some painkillers and thats about it...

AgVet09

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I just have some pain killers at the house and a healthy dose of respect for what they're capable of. I think we, maybe, sometimes have a tendency to overplay the danger that they pose because some part of us wants them to be really dangerous. Yeah, you definitely have to respect any venomous animal, and there's some that are really going to ruin your day if they bite you, but they aren't cobras you know? A cat or a medium sized dog is capable of inflicting much more damage on a person than any tarantula, even taking in to account the differences between envenomation and a purely mechanical wound.

Enn49

Arachnosquire
I keep antihistamine tablets, painkillers and tucked under one viv, a list of their species, treatments, references, etc. in case a trip to A&E is necessary. I don't intend handling any of them but better to be safe than sorry.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Common sense, caution and respect.
But if those things fail, you'll need to amputate immediately. You'll need something to cauterize the wound, antibiotic ointment and a bandaid.

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
But if those things fail, you'll need to amputate immediately. You'll need something to cauterize the wound, antibiotic ointment and a bandaid.
This. I refer you all to Walking Dead when Rick saves Hershel.

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.

cgrinter

Arachnopeon
I would suggest NOT getting an Epi-pen unless someone in your home is specifically known to go into anaphylaxis with stings. A large dose of Epinephrin can be very dangerous to a person not actually going into shock, and you can stop a heart this way. If you're bit and over-react you might do more damage with a pen than without.

Most T's won't send you to the ER. Some antihistamines and/or an NSAID pain reveler to reduce swelling is what I'd recommend for a nasty bite. If swelling doesn't stay down after days or you have trouble breathing then an emergency room visit is in order.

oooo35980

Arachnosquire
I don't think there is a lot you can do if you get bitten. If the bite is on a hand a suction cup from one of those snake bite kits might help remove some of the venom, but those only sort of work and only if you use them quickly and it's on a body part where the venom would pool under the skin before being absorbed. Even under ideal conditions the amount of venom removed is pretty small, I wouldn't bother.

Other than that you just do first aid for a typical puncture wound, and if it's a particularly nasty species such as a P. ornata then a trip to the doc might be warranted. Some NSAIDs and staying hydrated is probably going to be your best bet, the doc will probably just look at you funny and have no clue what to do.

michaelasmommy

Arachnosquire
I might be completely wrong so if I am let me know.. I've read for your body to go into anaphylactic shock it has to contain protein and since tarantula venom is peptide you're body doesn't react to it the same to put you into anaphylactic shock. What I've read there also isn't any confirmed deaths from any tarantula bite.

oooo35980

Arachnosquire
I might be completely wrong so if I am let me know.. I've read for your body to go into anaphylactic shock it has to contain protein and since tarantula venom is peptide you're body doesn't react to it the same to put you into anaphylactic shock. What I've read there also isn't any confirmed deaths from any tarantula bite.
I have done a fair bit of looking around, I can't find any confirmed cases of allergic reaction to tarantula venom, no deaths either. The whole peptide vs. protein thing might have some basis in fact but I haven't found any sources other than anonymous people on message boards. For whatever reason Tarantula venom doesn't appear to cause anaphylaxis, could just be the result of a small sample size though.

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think it has been researched. FWIW, however, proteins are also known as polypeptides.

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't think it has been researched. FWIW, however, proteins are also known as polypeptides.
Pepsi? I prefer Coke. Unless we are discussing Mt Dew. :)

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.

michaelasmommy

Arachnosquire

Okay I'm no scientist haha but this is what I got a polypeptide is a large number of amino acids bonded to make a part or whole protein molcule so polypeptides is what makes a protein molcule. A peptide is basically a really small protein less than 50 amino acids is considered a peptide to which your body doesn't even recognize it enough to put you into a anaphylactic shock. I'm sure one day though there will be that one in a billion case where it happens. Everyone is different and our bodies react differently but until that day I'm going to assume they tell you about anaphylactic just to be safe rather than saying it can never happen. Better to be safe than sorry. Once again I could be completely wrong so I'm still super new at this just putting out what I've read all over.

Necromion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
all i keep is a tube of calamine lotion for when i get haired by my LP that's it anything else i may need i just have to soldier through.