Tarantula Eating While in Premolt

Mauri

Arachnoknight
Well that's odd... if you are indeed getting new crickets, perhaps the females had already mated before you bought them. Do you recognize adult crickets? They're the only ones with wings. The females have a long ovipositer on their rear and have smooth wings while the males of course lack an ovipositor and have ridged bumpy wings to chirp. (Forgive me if you already knew all that; better to make sure, I figure, and avoid unnecessary confusion.)

No reason to avoid opening windows! I didn't mean to make you paranoid about that. I didn't know where you kept the crickets (some people keep inverts outdoors, depending on where they live) and it was merely one hypothesis to explain multiple unexplained "additions" to the colony.

Hehe, some of the chirping is nice, other times quite too loud and shrill. It depends in part on the species and even more so on whether the male is calling for a mate or already has one close by and is serenading her. ;)
I think yes some have wings! Will check manana..thanks. (they def dont look like second instars big feckers. Pardon my french senorita).

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
So about a couple days ago a superworm burrowed into the substrate when I tried to feed my T and I look in her tank today and see that she dug it up and ate it but she's in premolt. Does this mean she's really not in premolt or was she just really hungry?
it means you got really lucky if your t is really in premolt that worm could have molted out into a hungry adult beetle right at the time your t was on its back molting best to cut the heads off super worms i have had them survive a crushed head more than once just to find an adult beetle wandering the cage.

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
it means you got really lucky if your t is really in premolt that worm could have molted out into a hungry adult beetle right at the time your t was on its back molting best to cut the heads off super worms i have had them survive a crushed head more than once just to find an adult beetle wandering the cage.
This thread is from 2016