tarantula doesnt eat cricket but they hunt

yjArthropod

Arachnopeon
my psalmopoeus victori doesn't eat food after last molting.

most of time I saw it's hunting very well but dead crickets seems not consumed after day. I even saw one time cricket is alive as shocked status and head cut cricket also doesn't works.

It seems 4 time molting and I saw really good eater before last molt. Is there anything that might I can do for this guy? It seems no other sign of unhealthy things

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
How soon did you feed it after the the ‘last molt’, it could of broken or misshapen it’s soft fangs if it fed too soon.

Therefore not able to secure its prey.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Wait a week and try it again. When it killed the prey, the fangs should work. How big is the sling?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Most likely, you tried to feed it a little too early. I have no idea what size is your tarantula, but it would take about one to three weeks (depends on the size) for it’s fangs get fully hardened, and be ready to use again.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I have had picky spiders, I actually have one now. It will not hunt roaches or take pre kill. I can put a moth or any flying insect in with it and it will instantly take it down.

If you are worried you can try a flying feeder. Maybe the wing movement is stimulating to them because this has worked with all picky arboreal tarantulas I have ever had issues with.

yjArthropod

Arachnopeon
Most likely, you tried to feed it a little too early. I have no idea what size is your tarantula, but it would take about one to three weeks (depends on the size) for it’s fangs get fully hardened, and be ready to use again.
it's baby size 1~1.5 inches. I think I was bit early to give a prey like you said. I hope it will fix at next molting. I really worried about organ issue.. thanks

yjArthropod

Arachnopeon
I have had picky spiders, I actually have one now. It will not hunt roaches or take pre kill. I can put a moth or any flying insect in with it and it will instantly take it down.

If you are worried you can try a flying feeder. Maybe the wing movement is stimulating to them because this has worked with all picky arboreal tarantulas I have ever had issues with.
Thanks, I also want give a various prey for my guys. thanks!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There's no reason to "vary" the T's diet except personal preference for feeder types by the keeper, or in some rare instances, the kept specimen of tarantula. They aren't gourmets...

Also, tried tong-feeding the little one to help it some?

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
Is the molt intact? It'd always be a good idea to check did it molt out the sucking stomach properly.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
it's baby size 1~1.5 inches. I think I was bit early to give a prey like you said. I hope it will fix at next molting. I really worried about organ issue.. thanks
at 1-1.5in you should be able to feed live prey after its fangs have hardened, obviosly approraitely sized prey like small roaches or crickets.