Tarantula Dissection

eruheru

Arachnopeon
Hi all, I just received Shultzs' "The Tarantula Keepers Guide" and have found it fascinating. As a science student it made me very curious about trying a dissection to see everything so that I really know what the book is talking about. I'm not sure how to go about doing this. I don't have a dead T available, nor would I want to sacrifice one specifically for this cause. Has anyone here had experience with dissections or have any ideas on how to get a specimen? Also, if you have any pictures of a dissection in process that would be really cool to see.
Thanks!

eruheru

Arachnopeon
Cool looking book, I've seen it in stores now that I think about it. I don't like the descriptive blurb for it though: "Kids will love to see and touch each disgusting but interesting tarantula part!" Disgusting? I think not.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool looking book, I've seen it in stores now that I think about it. I don't like the descriptive blurb for it though: "Kids will love to see and touch each disgusting but interesting tarantula part!" Disgusting? I think not.
No, it isn't disgusting at all and I don't care for their description either. We got it for our daughter a couple years ago and it has some cool info in it actually. It is really neat to turn each page to show each different system.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep it's a pretty good book and my boys had it many years back before we even kept any tarantulas :)

Someday this spring he's supposed to do a report in front of the class and they (kids) wanted my son and his dad to bring in some spiders. I figure we'll take the book in early by a week and let them experience and read up first before we go in. It's not badly done even at his age.

eruheru

Arachnopeon
These are some great "toys." I'm going to recommend them to my mom who uses my rosie for some Elementary school science programs. I'm curious though if there is a standard protocol for arachnid dissections. I've done dissections on fish and other marine animals and there's a standard method of how to cut them open to see certain parts. Is anyone familiar with this for terrestrial arthropods?

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only way you can dig into Ts innards without feeling like stirring tapioca pudding is to partially freeze it. Then the structures will hold together, because a lot of them are of similar color and pretty soft. Just make sure it is frozen only partially though. I devised this method to gut out the fishes I caught without having some on my hands. The guts all come like a single block with nothing oozing out.