Tarantula Display Cabinet

Conna

Arachnopeon
Hello Arachnopals,
I am currently keeping my small collection of Ts on a shelf in my hallway closet and was looking to get something I could display them better in. I am looking at this cabinet on CList and was wondering your opinions? Would this be suitable for a smaller collection? Do you think If I drilled some ventilation it will have enough airflow? My apartment usually stays warm so temps should be fine. I have 4 slings and 1 4inch female that would be going inside the cabinet.

Thoughts?

I have 2 cats that love to try and climb and jump reallly high. So this seems like a great way for me to keep the Ts locked up but still on display. 00N0N_15kv9mBAmQ_1200x900.jpg

14pokies

Arachnoprince
That will work for small species or tons of slings/juvies.

You could even buy a string of led lights on Amazon or Ebay to run up one side of the interior wall to illuminate your Ts a little better during the day... They won't give off any heat or anything.

Conna

Arachnopeon
That will work for small species or tons of slings/juvies.

You could even buy a string of led lights on Amazon or Ebay to run up one side of the interior wall to illuminate your Ts a little better during the day... They won't give off any heat or anything.
Thanks for the reply! I will def look into an LED strip that sounds perfect. I currently have 1" GBB, 1/2" B. Vagans, 1inch D. Diamantenensis Dwarf, 1/2 in C. Versicolor all in Amac boxes which will fit for now. My ~4" Grammostola sp Concepcion is in a large size Exo Terra Breeding Box which will also fit and has room for her to grow in. When you say small species do you mean like under 6"? I don't have any plans to pick up any giants....yet. The dimensions sent from seller 77"x24"x14"

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the reply! I will def look into an LED strip that sounds perfect. I currently have 1" GBB, 1/2" B. Vagans, 1inch D. Diamantenensis Dwarf, 1/2 in C. Versicolor all in Amac boxes which will fit for now. My ~4" Grammostola sp Concepcion is in a large size Exo Terra Breeding Box which will also fit and has room for her to grow in. When you say small species do you mean like under 6"? I don't have any plans to pick up any giants....yet. The dimensions sent from seller 77"x24"x14"
I just ment species that could live in enclosure that have the same dimensions as a 10g aquarium or smaller.

Conna

Arachnopeon
I just ment species that could live in enclosure that have the same dimensions as a 10g aquarium or smaller.
Got it. Thanks! They are only asking 75 so I think I'll grab it up until I need something bigger.

Conna

Arachnopeon
As far as ventilation is concerned can I get away with just drilling some holes or will I need some kind of small fan for fresh air exchange? Never kept anything in a cabinet like this so not really sure if I am overthinking this.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
As far as ventilation is concerned can I get away with just drilling some holes or will I need some kind of small fan for fresh air exchange? Never kept anything in a cabinet like this so not really sure if I am overthinking this.
Just open the doors for a few minutes each day..

user 666

Arachnobaron
You need a fan on a timer.

Magenta

Arachnosquire
I have ninja cats too. I would bolt it into a wall and put a look on the door.

Conna

Arachnopeon
I have ninja cats too. I would bolt it into a wall and put a look on the door.
Haha I will certainly be doing this. My cat Chloe has figured out how to use her paw to open cubbards so my first mod to the cabinet will be a lock. They loveeee to open my kitchen cubbards and knock stuff out while I am gone

Magenta

Arachnosquire
Haha I will certainly be doing this. My cat Chloe has figured out how to use her paw to open cubbards so my first mod to the cabinet will be a lock. They loveeee to open my kitchen cubbards and knock stuff out while I am gone

Lol yeah, we had cabinet locks for years before having a kid. Funny story- We were using this kind of lock on the drawer where we kept the catnip. I was walking through the kitchen one day and heard some noise coming from the drawer. I opened it and found a cat laying sideways, covered in catnip and high as a kite. He had opened the cabinet below and climbed into the drawer from the back.
https://www.amazon.com/Dreambaby-Sa...y-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1494385506&sr=1-3&th=1

Now we have the magnetic ones, they work pretty well. We have some extra magnets we keep on the fridge in case one of them gets locked in a drawer or something. But many a loaf of bread has been ripped to shreds because we forgot to lock the cabinet.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello Arachnopals,
I am currently keeping my small collection of Ts on a shelf in my hallway closet and was looking to get something I could display them better in. I am looking at this cabinet on CList and was wondering your opinions? Would this be suitable for a smaller collection? Do you think If I drilled some ventilation it will have enough airflow? My apartment usually stays warm so temps should be fine. I have 4 slings and 1 4inch female that would be going inside the cabinet.

Thoughts?

I have 2 cats that love to try and climb and jump reallly high. So this seems like a great way for me to keep the Ts locked up but still on display. View attachment 239665

Get it, the drawers are perfect for keeping T husbandry tools.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Some people have used fans, some have not, both successfully.

If you do get with a fan, like those cheap computer fans, get one with a large diameter as they have a better a c.f.m, and it will be quieter than small fans.