Tarantula Display At The Orlando Science Center

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I went to the Orlando Science Center yesterday to see "Our Body: The Universe Within" (which was amazing, btw). Admission got us in to the entire museum, so we spent about 3 hours wandering around. When we parked in the garage, I was pleasantly surprised to see the OSC vans parked near us, and they were COVERED in rosehair tarantula graphics! I knew there had to be Ts inside somewhere. :D

I couldn't resist posing for a pic with the big hairy evil spider. She tried to eat me. ;P

Anyhoo... I finally found the Ts on the first level in a small room with other small exotic animals (a few snakes, lizards, and some giant millipedes). I was most interested to see how well they were housed.

They had one G. rosea, approximately 4", and an A. versicolor about the same size. Both were housed in 10gal aquaria in almost identical setups. They were on dry peat moss with comfortable hides, a couple plants, rock/log decor, and a water dish. I was fairly impressed. The A. versi was in a terrestrial setup like the rosie, but had made a nice web in one of the artificial plants near the top of the tank. You actually had to crouch down to see it. It made for a crummy public display, but the T was doing what it was supposed to be doing.

The biggest flaw, which I actually didn't notice until a friend I was with asked what it was, were the gel cubes in the water dish. There weren't any employees in the room, so I left a note for the staff saying that the tarantulas couldn't actually drink any water from the gel. They would be much happier with plain fresh water in the dish, and that they could put a couple rocks in the dishes to prevent crickets from drowning. It was short. I left it next to the rosie's tank.

I've heard so many horror stories, that I was honestly expecting much worse... either that, or a huge amazing exhibit of lifelike natural habitat vignettes for multiple species.

What sort of public displays have you guys seen, and how good/bad/ugly were they?
Would you have reacted any differently in this situation?

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Haha thats an awesome pic. Too bad there are not tarantulas at that actual size in real life! If so, my ass would be looking like that too! ;)

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome pic Amanda! and thank you so much for finding that exhibit, I need to go there soon to see the setup. :D

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
No prob! I was quite surprised to find it.
To be honest though, the exotic animals' tanks occupied only a small room, and none of them was bigger or more elaborate than the average hobbiest's setup. The 'coolness factor' was more that they had them at all.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Since you're in the area, Ando, you might want to go just for the gift shop. You don't even have to pay admission for that. I saw these and couldn't decide on just one...

They were even on clearance for $9.99 each! The only downside is that they are all youth sizes, but the Youth Large fits me great. Both designs come on red, blue, & black. The design shown on the red shirt even glows in the dark.

So nobody else has seen any interesting public displays?? I was at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago last April for IMAC (International Marine Aquarists Conference), and they had a few REALLY nice T displays. I don't remember what species were displayed, but they were in super-realistic terrarium settings. It was nearly a year ago, so they may or may not still be there.

TJPotter

Arachnopeon
I can't recall seeing any, save for at the Biodome in Montreal.. erm.. next door to the biodome rather, in the bug museum. Wasn't anything too grand, though they did have quite a few pinned specimens. I may have to stop by this place next time I am in orlando though, it looks like you had fun:p

T

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Since you're in the area, Ando, you might want to go just for the gift shop. You don't even have to pay admission for that. I saw these and couldn't decide on just one...

They were even on clearance for $9.99 each! The only downside is that they are all youth sizes, but the Youth Large fits me great. Both designs come on red, blue, & black. The design shown on the red shirt even glows in the dark.

So nobody else has seen any interesting public displays?? I was at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago last April for IMAC (International Marine Aquarists Conference), and they had a few REALLY nice T displays. I don't remember what species were displayed, but they were in super-realistic terrarium settings. It was nearly a year ago, so they may or may not still be there.
Thanks for the heads up Amanda, I'll definitely try and check it out...I'm digging the cool pet red one better..{D