tarantula died? /:

babyjay

Arachnopeon
at my work, we have two tarantulas. up until last week, they had permenantly been living in some rather small carry-case terrariums. these cases were apparently never washed as long as they lived in them, and these spiders were handled, sometimes often, sometimes not handled for months(?) at a time, and when they were handled, many children and adults may have held them, since we do insect petting zoo's.
last week, i switched each tarantula into a new container... since i really don't know what kind of tarantulas they are, i did my best to give them both places to hide, as well as move around and climb... the one that may now be dead, was really quite happy it seemed!
they never in their lives at this office had a heating pad or anything special. i'm sure they were sometimes not fed/watered, and over-handled, sometimes even dropped...
but, anyway, i had put a rather large/wide paper towl tube of some sort in both tanks, and one tarantula had been in there for a few days, actually, until today i decided to shoo her out of there... instead she slid out, possibly rearranging her legs from a death curl that she may have been in... and after my co-worker and i sprayed her a little, blew on her, and then prodded at her slightly... i've come to the conclusion she may be dead. ):

now what?! i'm quite sad she's died... but i'm really not sure what to do.
i'm sure my office would love to have her body for showing at insect zoo's...
is there a way to do that?

i feel like this long post may be all in vain, since i can't fully explain this tarantulas habitat and etc... why did she die? /:

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
First things first - - if she doesn't smell - - good chance she's not dead yet.

Any chance that she was on her back in the tube? If so, then she was just molting and should be left completely alone to hopefully complete the process.

Otherwise, try giving her some water. If you fill a water bowl and can put her "head" into it while keeping the "bottom" out - do it. Prop her up gently if needed. I say keep the "bottom" out because those four white areas on the bottom of the T are the booklungs. As long as they stay out of the water, she won't drown.

If at any point she seem strong enough to move on her own - leave her completely alone.

Beyond that, I'll leave it to more knowledgable people to make suggestions.

babyjay

Arachnopeon
i'm pretty sure she wasn't on her back.. when she slid out of the tube, she wasn't, and since i didn't turn the tube or anything, i'll just have to assume she wasn't molting..
plus, i believe she molted a few months back... maybe august at the latest. definitely summer months in chicago.

i'm gonna go smell the tank really quick. i do sort of recall an unfamiliar scent... ):

babyjay

Arachnopeon
hindsight is 20/20, thanks, chris.

smelled the tank, it does smell a bit odd... but what is it supposed to smell like?
tried to move her towards the water dish... her abdomen is kind of small, i noticed, but as long as i've worked here, i've made sure they had water at all times...
but she's like 100% limp. if i move any of the things her legs are touching, her whole body moves like... very limply.

babyjay

Arachnopeon
also, if it matters... we used compost from the worm bins as the substrate... okay?
the other tarantula has coconut fiber, coir brick, for the bottom of its tank...
o: is that okay!? D:
i'm freaking out. i don't want another tarantula death on the last week of my internship... ):

babyjay

Arachnopeon
damn. well, i didn't use compost for the other tarantula...
why isn't it okay?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Could be chock full'o lil micro organisms( mites,nematodes,other nasties) What kind of tarantula are we talking about,by the way..That needs to be known at least...

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
if its not smelly good chance its not dead

it should be on coco fiber

post pictures so we can tell you the SP of tarantula

it bad because you don't know what was in the soil or on the works many risks

boonbear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you may want to try putting it in an ICU. a plastic shoe box-style container with moist paper towels in it. then change the soil it was in. I agree with posting some pics. It couldn't do anything but help.

Blackbeard

Arachnopeon
hindsight is 20/20, thanks, chris.

smelled the tank, it does smell a bit odd... but what is it supposed to smell like?
tried to move her towards the water dish... her abdomen is kind of small, i noticed, but as long as i've worked here, i've made sure they had water at all times...
but she's like 100% limp. if i move any of the things her legs are touching, her whole body moves like... very limply.
Believe me you will know.
I have a strong stomach but the aroma of decaying G. rosea almost made me gag.
It's a sickly sweet and almost chemical stink that will make you recoil.
Put the spider in an icu or simply leave it in the container until it turns around or until you pick up that distinct funky smell.

babyjay

Arachnopeon
just to update... this spider is 100% dead... she stank, it made me gag really badly, she's 100% limp, now i just put her body in a clear container because i'm not sure what to do with her...
and also, it was a chilean rose hair.

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Awww I'm sorry about your T :(

I usually put mine in a napkin, then in a plastic bag, and I put them in the freezer until I can bury them in my yard. I figure they can help new life grow.