Tarantula Delicacy Drive Thru

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i am sure this has been posted before but i couldn't find it in search. i came across this while watching some other T video. Pretty interesting - by Animal Planet. Does anyone know if this was aired on Animal Planet recently? Sorry if this was just posted before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i_nAexhuQE

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yup. Ths has been posted before. I think it was called " deep fried tarantula ", but I may be wrong.

Watch the woman is the pink shirt in the opening of the film. She's licking her lips as they sort through the T's.... messed up !

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yup. Ths has been posted before. I think it was called " deep fried tarantula ", but I may be wrong.

Watch the woman is the pink shirt in the opening of the film. She's licking her lips as they sort through the T's.... messed up !
it's more messed up to blast a pneumatically driven cylinder into the skull of a higher mammal and then start butchering it before it has experienced total brain death. we (North Americaners and Euros) are just accustomed to it. lol, or don't know about it... or pretend it doesn't happen (i personally pretend it doesn't happen, it seems the easiest to me)

plus, i bet tarantulas taste *really* good, since i love seafood.

Syngyne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How is it more messed up than licking your lips at anything else you might think looks really tasty?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You know, it always amazes me how many non-vegetarians on here get up in arms at the thought of eating tarantulas.

Even the vegetarians that get up in arms over eating spiders amazes me, since they're probably eating bits of bug in whatever they're eating.

It has got to have something to do with groupthink and social acceptance, but I can't figure out what.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You know, it always amazes me how many non-vegetarians on here get up in arms at the thought of eating tarantulas.
It's just what we are and aren't conditioned to eat. We here keep spiders as pets so it's abhorrent to us.

That being said, i'm sitting down to a nice dinner of deep fried kitten with a delicious side of fuzzy hamster kabobs and puppy gravy...

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It's just what we are and aren't conditioned to eat. We here keep spiders as pets so it's abhorrent to us.

That being said, i'm sitting down to a nice dinner of deep fried kitten with a delicious side of fuzzy hamster kabobs and puppy gravy...
Maybe " messed up " was the wrong phrase. I for one haven't been conditioned to drool when I see a basket of tarantulas... It just seems a bit odd TO ME.

I agree that its a lot better than seeing beef get a bolt in the head.... hmmmm beef :)

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
whoa! what kind of T's are those? and where is that place? :?

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"whoa! what kind of T's are those?"

I would like to know that too.

"...and where is that place?"

Cambodia.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It only bothers me from an ecological standpoint, since the prey is wild caught, not bred and raised by humans for food. I would think that has to deplete wild populations to a degree.

People hunted bison and other things for hundreds of years too...with little thought of the huge numbers all of a sudden dying out thinking it impossible. And then it happens for some species, passenger pigeon as an example.

Since we don't commonly eat "bugs" intentionally here in North America, I can't say one thing or another about it being wrong while all of the animals we typically consume as being right.

That said, I doubt I would eat tarantulas. I eat crab and shrimp sure, but not shell and all. :p

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That said, I doubt I would eat tarantulas. I eat crab and shrimp sure, but not shell and all. :p
i ate these shrimp things whole before, at dimsum... and i have eaten bbq flavored mealworms... and the shell is DEFINITELY the part that i cared for least! it is quite strange... unlike anything i can remember eating before... most food sort of dissolves after you chew it for a while... but the chitin just gets broken into smaller pieces until your teeth can't reduce the particle size anymore... then you have to swallow. it was weird. my mouth and throat were thoroughly convinced it was not time to swallow. probably takes some time to get your body used to it, like.

tasty, though =P

stubby8th

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Eating aside, it's amazing to me how easily those women stick their hands into those big baskets piled with some sp. of asian T (Haplopelma sp?). Has anyone identified the sp. they're eating?

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Eating aside, it's amazing to me how easily those women stick their hands into those big baskets piled with some sp. of asian T (Haplopelma sp?). Has anyone identified the sp. they're eating?

They mentioned in the flim that the T's have been " de-fanged ". So there is no threat of being bitten.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I still wouldn't put my hands in there. *ruffles feathers*

B.L.

Arachnopeon
I have read that natives eat goliath bird eaters... T. blondis that is. They stab them with a sharp long stick and then roast them over a fire like we would cook a hotdog. :} mmmm tasty. ;P

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have read that natives eat goliath bird eaters... T. blondis that is. They stab them with a sharp long stick and then roast them over a fire like we would cook a hotdog. :} mmmm tasty. ;P
if you are talking about the, er "Piarowa", hmm, phonetics it is: "Pee-uh-row-uh" on the National Geo. Soc. film they will catch them live, and kill them with the stick right before they cook them. it's pretty crazy to see the indians with these little packages of goliath birdeaters wrapped in leaves waiting to get snacked upon

one interesting thing... they do NOT eat the abodmen... they pinch it off and squirt out any eggs in there to make an omelet. they are scared of the urts