Tarantula Database

rayne

Arachnopeon
I am working on a droid based database of tarantulas, and I was hoping that I can get a few extra pedipalps on the project, as we can all say honestly that having all the basic information in one place would be most helpful, and furthermore, to have this data on the phone so that we can access this information from anywhere, well, that speaks for itself.

For the moment the information I am keeping is more general, but perhaps there are a few columns that may want to be added?

Scientific Name, Common Name, Picture, Region, Class(Arboreal, Terrestrial, Subterranean), Humidity, Female Lifespan, Male Lifespan, Size, Temperament, Notes

So far the list is small but building. I have 169 Scientific Name in, about half have common names added too, and about 10 complete records.

It is all in an excel sheet which imports neatly into this app(for anyone interested, it is a Memento Database) and will be freely available to any who wish to have access to it, either as the app, or through google docs, etc.

Anyone willing to assist on making this a reality, I need all the help I can get, due to the fact that caresheets online that would have this information are generally not trustworthy sources.

Here is a webpage that stays current on the data, so that any who wish to work with me can see where it is at so far:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Ajfz1w3pplL5dEhIWTVxVzJfOFV1UVRIdlQ1eVVBTlE&hl=en&single=true&gid=1&output=html

Get in touch if you wish to help out, and I will add you to the list of people who can edit.

I sent an email to Rob C in hopes that he will be willing to put forth a little time, as frankly, I am a big fan of his, and it would be awesome to say that he helped a little with this project. :p Nudge Nudge... :p

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This sounds like a great idea and I hope it materializes. As for me, I don't know the knowledge or experience to help you out, but fire off an email to a bunch of the old heads around here and i'm sure some of them would be more than willing to contribute.

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't be a lot of help yet, but you can count me in as a very interested party in having the app on my Droid when you decide to go public with it :)

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd be willing to help, but I would like to know your background in Ts.

Also, you put "small mammals" in the diet section of T. blondi. That's gonna get you a lot of frowns around here.

Anyway, check out my site in my signature.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
While this is a really nice idea, unfortunately some of the information on that sheet is not accurate.

First, its really hard to determine the life span of the specie, let along with such precision like " 12 years...13 years 2 months and 5 days..." . ;)

Humidity requirments; you listed blondi as 80%. Im guessing is what you do recommend for the sp but, those tarantulas in the wild live up to %100 humidity most of the time.

Then the diet...Im assuming it could be again what you recommend but, the real "diet" of the individuals?

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Yeah, I might suggest that you stick with things that are 100% verifiable or at least agreed upon by all the "experts" - - like Name, maybe known common names, picture (absolutely want this though not all will be available), average size range, region, class, maybe if it's available in the hobby (would be useful for a lot of people). I'd stay away from care sheet info. since opinions vary so much on them. The above things could be "proven" for the most part.

rayne

Arachnopeon
Definitely not trying to have inaccurate information here, which is why I am definitely trying to pull people in on the project to verify my data, since even the wiki's in this case seem to be providing some bad information. And yes, of course every individual T is going to be a little different, but in the end, this will be a generalized listing with average sizes, average lifespans, etc. as this is in itself useful information. I don't have the expertise, but i am the type of person that learns by researching and doing, so this project in itself becomes a learning experience for me.

Any help you offer will be appreciated. Even if i get 10 entries from each of the old pros, It becomes a wealth of information. Keep the suggestions and corrections coming, I am listening, and modifying the database accordingly :)

Last edited: