Tarantula damaged in transit question.

Hi all
Long story short I ordered large juvenile female Davus pentaloris (about 6-7cm)online.Its with me for 4 days now.
When it arrived was damaged in transit and leaking (bleeding) between the carapace and the abdomen.(Please find pics of it and enclose below.)
Anyway I put it in its new house(18x18x10H cm)with slightly moist substrate and waterdish. It moved normally but a bit slow.After I dusted the bleeding area with cornflour (corn starch) using small soft paintbrush and let it be.6 hours later it has put some web down,was grooming its fangs,exhibiting normal behaviour and seems not bleeding anymore.I reapplied more cornflour on the damaged area and let it be undisturbed.
It has webbed really nice around the entrance of its burrow and surrounding fake plants and shook off excess cornflour and still acting normally .The colors of her are a bit pale and seller said some of her siblings have moulted recently so hoping for moult soon.
Planning to offer food in about 5 days.Pre killed feeder.
And my questions being.
Is she out of danger now or that will be when she moults?Anything to keep an eye for?
The seller will replace if she don't moult successfully or if the worst happens but she is a lovely spider and I would like to give it best chance

20200701_131430.jpg 20200701_131504.jpg 20200701_131509.jpg

Regards Konstantin

Last edited:

ChaosSphere

Arachnosquire
If it was me, I'd breath a sigh of relief - but continue to keep a close eye on her.
She isn't entirely safe until she is has molted.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Hi Konstantin,
It looks to me that you have done everything right so far.

The only suggestion I have is to add some more substrate in an attempt to prevent climbing activity. Any climbing and falling (even from a low height as what would be possible in your enclosure) could easily reopen the wound.

She won't be out of the woods until after she molts.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Fine job on the initial response. In addition to the good information provided thus far, I would also definitely put the seller on notice, and if this situation did degrade resulting in the loss of your spider I would push for compensation.

ToBeAnnounced

Arachnopeon
I recently purchased a Davus Pentaloris myself, very nice tarantula indeed.

I just wanted to say hope he/she stays ok till molting. :)

Fine job on the initial response. In addition to the good information provided thus far, I would also definitely put the seller on notice, and if this situation did degrade resulting in the loss of your spider I would push for compensation.
Thank you.
Im in continuous communication with the seller giving him updates how she is duing.He will replace if worst happens.
Regards Konstantin

Hi Konstantin,
It looks to me that you have done everything right so far.

The only suggestion I have is to add some more substrate in an attempt to prevent climbing activity. Any climbing and falling (even from a low height as what would be possible in your enclosure) could easily reopen the wound.

She won't be out of the woods until after she molts.
She has webbed herself in the burrow now.I will leave her be for now.Will add some substrate where possible before I try to feed her or if see signs she is coming out and about.It seems like there is a lot of space in height there in the pic but is actually only 5-6 cm substrate to the top
Regards Konstantin

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi all
Long story short I ordered large juvenile female Davus pentaloris (about 6-7cm)online.Its with me for 4 days now.
When it arrived was damaged in transit and leaking (bleeding) between the carapace and the abdomen.(Please find pics of it and enclose below.)
Anyway I put it in its new house(18x18x10H cm)with slightly moist substrate and waterdish. It moved normally but a bit slow.After I dusted the bleeding area with cornflour (corn starch) using small soft paintbrush and let it be.6 hours later it has put some web down,was grooming its fangs,exhibiting normal behaviour and seems not bleeding anymore.I reapplied more cornflour on the damaged area and let it be undisturbed.
It has webbed really nice around the entrance of its burrow and surrounding fake plants and shook off excess cornflour and still acting normally .The colors of her are a bit pale and seller said some of her siblings have moulted recently so hoping for moult soon.
Planning to offer food in about 5 days.Pre killed feeder.
And my questions being.
Is she out of danger now or that will be when she moults?Anything to keep an eye for?
The seller will replace if she don't moult successfully or if the worst happens but she is a lovely spider and I would like to give it best chance

View attachment 351396 View attachment 351397 View attachment 351399

Regards Konstantin
Nice T! Personally not safe until the molt.

Keep extra water in there they can drink a lot to compensate for blood loss.

Hi all
Thank you for your advice and support.
I moved the water dish closer to the burrow and she have option to get moisture from the substrate too in her den as bottom layer there is quite moist.She is still exhibiting normal behaviour and all stretched out nicely.Feeling positive atm and hoping for moult in near future.
Few pics.
20200705_105420.jpg 20200705_105428.jpg
Regards Konstantin

Hi all
She has been sealed in all the time since I last wrote on here.
I had a suspicion she moulted about 2 weeks ago but couldn't see moult trough the silk over her burrow entrance to confirm.
Yesterday thought to put a cricket in the enclosure to see if she is hungry.She was and pulled it in the burrow though the silk.Today she is out and about and I can see old exoskeleton webbed up on the bottom of her burrow.I am glad she moulted successfully and she is out of danger now
Regards Konstantin

quirinus

Arachnoknight
Glad she is fine.
My pentaloris uses to do the same thing, grabbing food trough the webbing like out if nowhere. i love her for this.
you will have much fun with it. even though i prefer big spiders, this one is one of my favourites.