Tarantula cooler

Skypainter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm curious if any of you have tried cooling your female T's artificially to induce eggsack production. The problem I have is I live in an apartment and have no place outside to place Ts so they experience a cooling period. My idea is to construct a large box insulated with styrofoam. I would make it big enough to acommodate about four enclosures. I'm not sure how to go about cooling it. I was thinking of using ice loaded into a tray sitting above the enclosures. Any ideas?

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ive heard of people using wine coolers, the kind you can set electronically to a certain temp. It would be quite a bit more expensive, but I believe more reliable and accurate than a cooler with ice.

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
...or wait until winter and keep the girl in an unheated part of the house? ;)

Skypainter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
...or wait until winter and keep the girl in an unheated part of the house? ;)
That's the problem, I live in an apartment, so my only options are to heat the whole apartment or not to heat it.

I'm wondering if there's a way to use a small fridge, the cheap kind that are just big enough to hold a 12 pack of beer, and rigging a thermostat to have better temperature control. The thermostat would be inside the larger insulated box, and the fridge, with its door removed, built into one wall of the box. A drip tray would be built to catch condensation dripping from the inside coils of the fridge.