Tarantula climbing on sides and biting lid mesh

21Cabbage

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, I have an A. Seemani who has been roaming around at night lately and biting onto the mesh of its enclosure. It will take a little tumble down (a one inch fall) and proceed to get back up and start nibbling away. My best bet is that he is a male who is DESPERATE to find himself a lady. I’ve figured I would see what keepers more than experienced than me think.

Attachments

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
They just do that sometimes - want to escape an enclosed space, like any living being would do. Maybe it's too wet/too dry in there, or didn't find a suitable place to make its burrow/hide.
As far as i can see from your image, pedipalps don't seem to have emboli on them, so it's not a mature male.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Tarantulas do just try and push the limits of their confinement from time to time. I wouldn’t stress about, and like Vicareux mentioned make sure there are no husbandry variables that are off

21Cabbage

Arachnopeon
They just do that sometimes - want to escape an enclosed space, like any living being would do. Maybe it's too wet/too dry in there, or didn't find a suitable place to make its burrow/hide.
As far as i can see from your image, pedipalps don't seem to have emboli on them, so it's not a mature male.
I was about to say, another idea is that it’s too moist in there. Apparently this thing is a pro bowl tipper and likes to dig under his bowl and make it tilt. The water empties out completely within a day, and I just fill it back up and ignore it. We did this again and again and again for about week. Now I notice that it’s a little damp down there. I think we just figured it out.

What I did, was take out his water bowl. I am going to leave his sub to dry for the next few days. He ran off when I did this, and is now back up from his hole 1 minute later munching away.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
I was about to say, another idea is that it’s too moist in there. Apparently this thing is a pro bowl tipper and likes to dig under his bowl and make it tilt. The water empties out completely within a day, and I just fill it back up and ignore it. We did this again and again and again for about week. Now I notice that it’s a little damp down there. I think we just figured it out.

What I did, was take out his water bowl. I am going to leave his sub to dry for the next few days. He ran off when I did this, and is now back up from his hole 1 minute later munching away.
Ayyy if you figure out what his beef with the water dish is, let me know. Mines heavy premolt and literally just sits in or on his water dish, and I can’t keep it full. It’s too heavy to tilt, so I don’t know how he’s emptying it other than planting his badonkadonk in there.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Ayyy if you figure out what his beef with the water dish is, let me know. Mines heavy premolt and literally just sits in or on his water dish, and I can’t keep it full. It’s too heavy to tilt, so I don’t know how he’s emptying it other than planting his badonkadonk in there.
Silk lines or substrate are wicking the water out of the dish.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
Silk lines or substrate are wicking the water out of the dish.
That’s what I initially thought, but I’ve cleaned it out every time and he hasn’t rewebbed its edges yet, BUT that has me thinking that I’m filling it too high. Thank you! 😁

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey guys, I have an A. Seemani who has been roaming around at night lately and biting onto the mesh of its enclosure. It will take a little tumble down (a one inch fall) and proceed to get back up and start nibbling away. My best bet is that he is a male who is DESPERATE to find himself a lady. I’ve figured I would see what keepers more than experienced than me think.

Think-- Think about what specifically. You listed a few things.