Tarantula Christmas exchange?

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Anyone ever thought about doing a Christmas tarantula group exchange?

Something like, say 10 people sign up and we all draw names. You send the name drawn a surprise tarantula or tarantulas with a minimum set valve (it can be over) that everyone agrees on. something like a gift exchange but only tarantulas. Must have experience shipping as we don't want dead spiders, and be trust worthy and a known member. Also, probably not a good idea to ship during the holiday due to delays, maybe the week before Christmas.

Just tossing around the idea, don't shoot the messenger.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Sends 30 T.albos in exchange for a $300 T 🤣

Cool idea. Just too risky for me personally to want to partake. I’m not worried about getting scammed. More the risk of the T dying in transit.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Surprise tarantulas does not sound like a good idea. The recipient may not be prepared to suitably house or care for the mystery spider(s), or may lack the experience (or interest) in keeping spiders of that type (eg. arboreal vs. terrestrial vs. fossorial, or old world vs. new world).

Also, shipping around the holidays - when shipping delays are commonplace, temperatures are low, and many people are away from home, visiting friends or family - sounds like the perfect recipe for dead spiders.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I tried this once, but instead of a T it was my sister. Didn’t work out cause she found her way home.

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
I’d be down.
But also maybe with the stipulation that, if you have no experience shipping, you can order directly from a breeder/supplier and have it sent to the person?

Elfster would work for this - everyone can put in their wishlist, what they’re comfortable with/not comfortable with, preferences on arboreal/terrestrial/fossorial and OW/NW and what not.

Edit: I’ve run a lot of various exchanges over the years - from ones with remote companies I’ve worked for to local animal shelters that had interested parties make a list of qualities and animals and breeds that they’d want and matched up that way. If this comes to fruition, I’d be happy to help set it up. Doing anything remotely is my jam, so I’m happy to work alongside you for this if you’d like any assistance getting set up!

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
ADMIN NOTE (disclaimer):

Please note that this is NOT an AB sanctioned gift exchange. We have NOTHING to do with this. Any and all participants will be doing so at their own risk!

That is all.

Debby