Tarantula Cards

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Pretty good start! Except I might say that P. irminia is arboreal. Are you going to put these on your enclosures? It would be something cool for guests to look at when they ogle your spiders! Maybe it would also be cool if you included what their natural habitat is (just an idea).

Braden

Arachnoknight
Pretty good start! Except I might say that P. irminia is arboreal. Are you going to put these on your enclosures? It would be something cool for guests to look at when they ogle your spiders! Maybe it would also be cool if you included what their natural habitat is (just an idea).
Thanks! Good idea, there natural habitat would make it more informative/interesting!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
lose the humidity numbers. This is not relevant. And only perpetuates old care sheets. They’re moisture dependent not humidity.

and it’s T. albopilosus now

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Your temp ranges are waaay too specific, humidity is NOT a requirement and those numbers mean nothing...And i wouldnt refer to LPs in general as docile as most can be fairly high strung.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Okay so just to be helpful, But Psalmopoeus irminia it’s not quite right and not that simple as you had.

Temperament: is okay yes they are fast, and can be skittish.

Substrate: Species can be determined as moisture dependent. (Not humidity dependent)
a. Slings- slightly moist substrate, provide slightly more depth that other arboreals (2-3in) (4in is a little bit much) as slings can be opportunistic burrowers, building part fossorial burrow chambers part arboreal dirt curtains and web tubes behind slanted cork bark

b. Juvenile-Adults- slightly moist substrate that can be allowed to dry out for periods of time. By this time they will be exhibiting more obligate arboreal behavior so substrate depth to burrow is not necessary as it can be provided for slings.

Humidity: not relevant and humidity percentages should not be chased Or concerned about as long as ample ventilation is provided.

Temperature: (used for all species) room temperatures, if you are comfortable they are comfortable. Temperature gauges are not needed and Degree numbers should not be chased. Temperature fluctuations from low 60’s to 90’s can occur without detriment.
a. Under tank heat mats, heat bulb, light bulbs should not be used.

venom- they are NWso venom is generally not considered medically significant but members of the Psalmopoeus genus do have more potent venom and can be quite painful and lead to some reactions.

Gurantula

Arachnosquire
When I write my own info-sheet (I wont call them a care sheet haha) I like to include the species native temps and humidity, but I always put an "IYC rule - yes or no" below the temp. That's my "if you're comfy" rule. Meaning if you're comfy, so is the spider. All species I own get a yes for the IYC rule. Although I know more rare/exotic species might get +/- 5 or so degrees.

I like what you got going on there with your cards by the way.

Braden

Arachnoknight
Ok, I made some adjustments
To sum things up, humidity doesn't matter and if you're comfortable the T is comfortable.
Also, I figure I will prob get more T's n the future, and I thought it would be nice to have something to refer to when I have different species. So I guess they aren't really "care cards" lol, more of something to check with.

Attachments

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I don't recommend making cards as the backlash is basically non-stop because critique on information may vary. Also make sure you're crediting your sources such as pictures for example, because the last thing you want is a lawsuit for legal use.

I think the categories you have are all debatable or is too variable to consider it even worth listing as a category. Someone may debate that they're more reactive or allergic to certain hairs of certain species. Someone might debate about substrate levels which I will. Substrate levels is always dependent on the enclosure size/depth and the species as well, meaning it's too variable to consider what is the right amount as it's dependent on the enclosure size itself.

An Obt will do fine 2''-3'' of substrate, but it's not ideal to some hobbyists as they will use their substrate to the optimum if provided deep substrate, meaning if you give it deep substrate it will utilize it completely as a pet hole. Also OBT IS NOT SEMI-ARBOREAL... Not trying to discourage you, but info cards are usually not the best source of info.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I need to start making my own cards. Under temperament there would be notes like: Tried to feed, threat posed me. Cursed me out in spider, Naughty lil buggers.

I give my T’s the best care, and I swear I have a few that are the most ungrateful, temperamental lil blankety blanks. It’s always my NW’s too. My OW’s for the most part are chill.

I lost my train of thought, but my point is, I understand you’re making these for fun and essentially for your own personal reference when you acquire more T’s down the road. And for that, I like what you got going.

Stay golden, pony boy.

Braden

Arachnoknight
I don't recommend making cards as the backlash is basically non-stop because critique on information may vary. Also make sure you're crediting your sources such as pictures for example, because the last thing you want is a lawsuit for legal use.

I think the categories you have are all debatable or is too variable to consider it even worth listing as a category. Someone may debate that they're more reactive or allergic to certain hairs of certain species. Someone might debate about substrate levels which I will. Substrate levels is always dependent on the enclosure size/depth and the species as well, meaning it's too variable to consider what is the right amount as it's dependent on the enclosure size itself.

An Obt will do fine 2''-3'' of substrate, but it's not ideal to some hobbyists as they will use their substrate to the optimum if provided deep substrate, meaning if you give it deep substrate it will utilize it completely as a pet hole. Also OBT IS NOT SEMI-ARBOREAL... Not trying to discourage you, but info cards are usually not the best source of info.
Wait, they aren't semi arboreal? I keep seeing that it is wherever I look.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Wait, they aren't semi arboreal? I keep seeing that it is wherever I look.
Your information is off in a few places. Do you even own an OBT? I wouldn't be making info cards if I don't have any first-hand experiences with them. OBT tends to adapt to whatever enclosure you give them, it doesn't mean they're semi-arboreal.