Tarantula Canada Separating Lasiodora parahybana Spiderlings

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
How so? Sheer numbers or some kind of husbandry error?
Sheer numbers. They can have over 2,000 spiderlings. Breaking them apart into their own enclosures is just the start. Then you have to feed every single one of them until you sell them.

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
And this is why my wife insists that I will never be allowed to breed any Ts :arghh:
Because what the heck would I do with all those

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Sheer numbers. They can have over 2,000 spiderlings. Breaking them apart into their own enclosures is just the start. Then you have to feed every single one of them until you sell them.
I hear Nhandu chromatus have really large eggsacks too! But yeah that's a lot of work. And not just a business. I was talking to Amanda a few weeks ago when I placed an order and she was saying the reason they have a LAG and a 7 day health assurance is because tarcan treats every spider/spiderling as we would our pets. She said "they are my babies before they are yours!"

How's TIW doin? Any plans to come to expos out west?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I hear Nhandu chromatus have really large eggsacks too! But yeah that's a lot of work. And not just a business. I was talking to Amanda a few weeks ago when I placed an order and she was saying the reason they have a LAG and a 7 day health assurance is because tarcan treats every spider/spiderling as we would our pets. She said "they are my babies before they are yours!"

How's TIW doin? Any plans to come to expos out west?
I think about 800. Still not anywhere near the 2000 of the parahybana. Either way, I am not doing that... EVER.
No plans to go out west yet, but we have group shipments going out that way!!

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
I think about 800. Still not anywhere near the 2000 of the parahybana. Either way, I am not doing that... EVER.
No plans to go out west yet, but we have group shipments going out that way!!
Heard of a N chromatus with over 1400 eggs.

Very interested in TIW as there are larger spiders too. Every expo I go to tarcan has the usual Albopilosum, Boehmei and parahybana juvies but mostly slings of all kinds. There is a pet store by me that has lots of adults and some juvies but they are mostly wild caught and I try to avoid that when possible. Only wc I have is my sub adult G pulchripes and I don't intend on feeding the profits from wc at all.

cold blood

Staff member
I need to save this video - in case I ever think about getting into breeding.
Many...heck, most species dont have sac sizes even close to an LP...most are in the 1-200 range and many have sacs smaller than 50 typically.

This is definitely not a representation of most breeding results.

If anything its a lesson on why to never breed Lasiodora.

Spiderphil360

Arachnopeon
I was here last week! I was buying some old world T.
and Amanda & her team show me the spiderling ! I was like...hummmm they are in huge number ! What a task to do ! A long task !!!!! .

Thank's for Tarantula Canada because i got one free baby Lasiodora with my purchase !

Last edited:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A friend of me bred those. I believe it resulted in 1500+ spiderlings

The largest sac i have got through breeding was an T albopilosum. Resulting in nearly 800 slings

Last edited by a moderator:

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
The only t I have that I am interested in breeding is my Brachypelma baumgarteni male. I would probably have to slow down it's growth rate though. Amanda was saying to feed it a bit less often and keep it a little cooler. Anyone know how often I should feed it to accomplish this. I have had it for a month and have gave it probably 3 large mealworms so far. Is this too much? It is about 3" dls at the moment.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Many...heck, most species dont have sac sizes even close to an LP...most are in the 1-200 range and many have sacs smaller than 50 typically.

This is definitely not a representation of most breeding results.

If anything its a lesson on why to never breed Lasiodora.
I realize that most don't have that many young, but considering the time it takes to care for my current collection even 50 more would be too much.
Still I'm glad somebody's breeding Lasiodora, I would hate for them to disappear from the hobby because everybody assumed there were plenty around (don't laugh, stranger things have happened), but breeding them should be left to professionals who can gauge demand to keep the numbers at at reasonable levels.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I realize that most don't have that many young, but considering the time it take to care for my current collection even 50 more would be too much.
Still I'm glad somebody's breeding Lasiodora, I would hate for them to disappear from the hobby because everybody assumed there were plenty around (don't laugh, stranger things have happened), but breeding them should be left to professionals who can gauge demand to keep the numbers at at reasonable levels.
They have been in short supply the last couple of years in Canada. We could never sell them at the expos a couple of years ago - the juvenile females sold, but not spiderlings. I think TarCan imported a few and they flew out the door (I have two of those and they both ended up females), so that might have been what prompted them to breed again. They have a big female too, so the egg sac was probably about as big as they get. I guess all those people who ended up getting males when they were plentiful and free are looking to try for a female again.