Tarantula cages/tanks

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those look pretty nice. I'm impressed.

Is there enough ventilation, though? I only see holes in the top. I built a large terrestrial one and when it only had holes in the top there was very little circulation. I would get condensation on the walls if the ambient temperature fell. Had to drill some in the sides. Perhaps the side opening doors are not as airtight.

Not that it's relevant to the point of your post.

Btw what thickness of acrylic did you use?

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Those look pretty nice. I'm impressed.

Is there enough ventilation, though? I only see holes in the top. I built a large terrestrial one and when it only had holes in the top there was very little circulation. I would get condensation on the walls if the ambient temperature fell. Had to drill some in the sides. Perhaps the side opening doors are not as airtight.

Not that it's relevant to the point of your post.

Btw what thickness of acrylic did you use?

Thanks. I used 3/16" acrylic. The reason that I did not place any ventilation holes in the sides or back is that I have a friend who has been keeping large pokies (12 or so) in 1 and 2 gal pretzel jars for several years, no holes anywhere but the lids. I said if he can get by with just the lid airholes, why do I need more.
I have been keeping a 5" A metallica, a 4.5" P puchler, and a 4.5" P irminia in these for several weeks, now, with continuous moist strate, and I have had no condensation in any of the enclosures. Guess they have enough ventilation.

PIG-

unitard311

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a large arboreal cage from Adam. The cage is beautiful and I have not had any problems with it. The cage is crystal clear and very well constructed. I plan on buying another one once my versi sling needs it(which I also got from Adam and it is alive and well!). I am thrilled with the cage. It is a great product and he definately has top notch customer service. Just my two cents. ;)

vvx

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I find it interesting that some see the aluminum vents as a negative instead of as a plus. How would an aluminum vent be any worse than say, a normal aquarium screen topper?

Personally I like the way they look better and it's a lot easier to produce larger amounts of ventilation with the vents. Say you're looking at either 2" vents or 1/8" drilled holes. Further assume that the vent is 50% efficient, that is that 50% of that 2" hole will be wasted by the vent (an overly cautious number.) How many 1/8" holes would it take to produce that 2" vent of space?

About 1.57" square inch of ventilation per vent (after 50% reduction). 0.012265625" per 1/8" hole. So you need 128 1/8" holes to equal 1 of the vents. So for a cage like the large arboreal that Adam has with 7 vents that's 896 1/8" holes (more if you assume a more realistic percentage of wasted space.)

Now of course one possible solution would be to use a larger drill bit. After all a 1/4" bit would produce 4 times the area as an 1/8" bit. Then again the larger you go the more likely crickets are to escape.

betuana

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a large terrestrial cage from Tarantulacages.com and I'm very happy with it! It is very well constructed, has great visibility, seams fit perfectly, there are no gaps or glue marks, great latches, etc. I have absolutely no regrets in buying it and will likely buy more from him in the future when I get more T's!

If you are handy with building stuff you could probably make your own, but I'd end up spending so much time on it, and probably making enough mistakes that I'd have to go through so much material that it would end up being more expensive and time consuming than buying the cage. I might try to make my own cages at some point in the future just for the fun of building one myself, but I'm more than happy to let someone else with the tools, skill, and experience make the cages for me and pay them for their time and effort! :D

So yeah, my response would be that tarantulacages.com makes great products, and I believe they are very well priced for the time, skill, effort, and materials needed, and would definitely recommend them! (I left a review for him in the reviews thread too, but since this thread is showing up here...)