Tarantula cages/tanks

Alboy84

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone owned a tank from that website 'tarantulacages.com' since I'd like to see a pic of one in use. I'm interested in getting one from there since it seems to me to be the only place to get a cage specifically designed with T's in mind. The biggest selling point for me is the secure lids...my L.parahybana is always trying to lift the roof of her tank!

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I ordered one and was not thrilled with it...gave it away...they are skinny and tall, yes, but not quite what I wanted...the screen on the top holes is thin and not dipped...and the sides scratch very easily! U have to buy the scratch kit for acrylics to repair the scratches u will get on it...I would say for the same price, get an exo terra tank! swear to you its the best tank I own...go to black jungle.com they are the cheapest there...

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hey Alboy 84 i just received 2 of the small arboreal enclosures from adam@ tarantulacages.com. they look really nice compared to all my other enclosures. i haven't used them yet. they seem pretty well made.

...the screen on the top holes is thin and not dipped...and the sides scratch very easily! U have to buy the scratch kit for acrylics to repair the scratches u will get on it...I would say for the same price, get an exo terra tank! swear to you its the best tank I own...go to black jungle.com they are the cheapest there...
any acrylic scratches easily if not treated with care. and what exactly would be the difference between flat and dipped screen holes??

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was told that if the screen wasnt dipped in that black stuff (sorry I dont know what its called), that the Ts could hurt their feet or legs on the steel edges...if Im wrong, I apologize:eek:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I picked up one as well at the last show I was at. They were modified with side vents as well. I have one big smithi in there shes making her sac as we speak....... I dont have any complaints about the tanks themselves, but I did look into what it would cost to build your own tank in the same manner. And knowing that I think the tanks from the site are severly over priced. You can build 5 tanks for the price of one if you took the time to do it right yourself.
But if you dont have patience and want a quick nice setup, buying from them is just fine.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was thinking about buying one too.....

But for that price, there should be absolutely no complaints from anyone.....

Hmmmm.....maybe I will stick with Exo Terra as well.....

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You could also talk to JEEP he is an AB members and he makes tanks.

He made a 10 gallon tank with two dividers and i house three T's in it and it works great..he charges 11 dollars for shipping (4 dollars less than that site) and charges $ 40 dollars for the tank its self (4.99 less than that site). you will be saving just about $9.

you can decide if you want no dividers, two, or three and they will all cost the same price.

if you have an extra tank in your house you can send it to him and he will make that a custom tank.. below is a picture of one of the tanks he made for me that I already paid for and is on its way to here also below is a link to the reviews he recieved...

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=87419&highlight=jeep

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Jeep is the one that made that tank you have in the pic? Those are some nice tanks.
I tried a few times to make my own tanks, I just dont have a nack for donig things like that it always looks sloppy.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jeep is the one that made that tank you have in the pic? Those are some nice tanks.
I tried a few times to make my own tanks, I just dont have a nack for donig things like that it always looks sloppy.
Yup jeep made all my tanks....

the one that holds three T's has: on the left side my P cancerides, in the middle it has my Regalis and on the end it has a versicolor.

the one I'm getting either today or monday (the picture) in that one I'm putting both my P. lugardi and P. mirinus in that one.....

TarantulaCages.com

Arachnopeon
I ordered one and was not thrilled with it...gave it away...they are skinny and tall, yes, but not quite what I wanted...the screen on the top holes is thin and not dipped...and the sides scratch very easily! U have to buy the scratch kit for acrylics to repair the scratches u will get on it...I would say for the same price, get an exo terra tank! swear to you its the best tank I own...go to black jungle.com they are the cheapest there...
kristal_kaos,

I don't recall shipping anything out to Michigan (assuming that is where you're from). Are you confusing my cages with someone else? I never heard a complaint from you, but would have been happy to have sent you replacement screens. As far as the scratching goes, it is plastic and plastic can be subject to scratches.

Adam

TarantulaCages.com

Arachnopeon
I picked up one as well at the last show I was at. They were modified with side vents as well. I have one big smithi in there shes making her sac as we speak....... I dont have any complaints about the tanks themselves, but I did look into what it would cost to build your own tank in the same manner. And knowing that I think the tanks from the site are severly over priced. You can build 5 tanks for the price of one if you took the time to do it right yourself.
But if you dont have patience and want a quick nice setup, buying from them is just fine.
Can you please tell me where you're getting materials to make 5 cages for the price of one of mine? I sure would like to know ;)

jeep

Arachnopeon
As Ballpython2 said, I make acrylic tops to the "all-glass" brand aquariums. For his tanks, I fully assemble the tanks with the dividers and top. I have sold just the tops to a few people as "do it yourself" setups and it's really easy on the shipping charge that way.

It's hard to beat a 2.5gal with acrylic faceplate mounted to it for a smaller arboreal like a pinktoe.

Also, the 5.5gal is perfect for a larger arboreal:

These, of course, can be layed down for a terrestrial too.

-darren

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can you please tell me where you're getting materials to make 5 cages for the price of one of mine? I sure would like to know ;)
There is a shop here in Portland Oregon that has the materials. The joint pieces and the cutting stuff and all of that. The only problem is you really cant buy a small piece of anything. Its all in big pieces. But that allows you to make a few tanks for pretty darn cheap.

I will say however, I dont have the time to put into building something like that so Id much rather buy something that someone else did for me. In that respect your cages are sweet.( you have to make money for your time and effort.)
Matter of fact my gravid Smithi loves it so much she is laying eggs, thats my third sac!

Oh and I like the side vents you did for the ground dwellers. I picked mine up from Alex at the Hillsboro show.

TMac

Arachnopeon
I was just wondering if anyone owned a tank from that website 'tarantulacages.com' since I'd like to

Your post asked for pics of cages from this supplier in use. Here are some of mine. I have no complaints. Tried making some myself before finding these. Mine were crap. I don't have a shop to work in and buying the tools to make a few cages would have pushed the price per cage way too high. TarrantulaCages.com seals these tight enough I special order sling boxes. I have 4 of those and one more on the way. I hate Deli cups enough to invest into something that makes working with my slings enjoyable. They may not be for eveyone but when I post/send pics or when people come over, my cages get much more attention than my specimens. I love the top and front door to my A.versi cage. It's worth the extra $$ for me.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/attachment.php?attachmentid=61015&d=1175038227

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/attachment.php?attachmentid=61016&d=1175038227

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/attachment.php?attachmentid=61011&d=1175037667

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/attachment.php?attachmentid=61012&d=1175037667

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi just seen the - t - tanks that have been made by tarrantula cages and by jeep and i think they are all wonderful as i am crap at any d- i - y - things and i admire any one who has the skill to do it :clap: :clap: :worship: :worship: i only wish i could have a chance to buy one :( but i am in the u/ k/ but good on you guys :clap: :clap: :worship: :worship: keep up the good work and good luck to you guys and you do earn your $$$$ --- :clap: :clap: :) -- phil

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
go with the reviews..

I
d go with the actual reviews then to go by some random response to a thread... I think the cages from the site are supurb and WELL worth the $...... no doubt about it, but check out the reviews. They're all good.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah me too. I think people often look at the wrong thickness of acrylic or underestimate how much they will need when talking about building these themselves. I built one fairly similar enclosure (but with 1/4" acrylic) and when all was said and done it would probably have been cheaper to buy from tarantulacages.

It was fun to make, though.

fleckster48

Arachnopeon
Tarantula Cages

Hello,

I bought an adult size cage from Tarantula Cages dot com. I think the price is fair and the cage is well made. By the time I bought the acrylic, hinges, glue and labor plus a fudge factor if I messed up it was worth it. The only thing I would say is that the vents can pose a problem if you T decides to explore the top of the cage like my smithi does. He also doesn't learn from his mistakes. I am going to modify the vents by placing the tops shaker tops from spice jars over the vents an gluing them into place........not a big deal but something to keep in mind.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Build your own, its a whole lot cheaper!!!
I built 13 for about $25.00-$29.00 a piece, maybe less this included a few tools (1 time purchases)

PIG-