Tarantula Cabinet Setup

BaldyBob

Arachnopeon
Hi people 👋😁

This winter has been rough on my heating bill because I'm running a little oil radiator in the spare room.

I'm now thinking about putting my collection in this cabinet, and just installing a tube heater or heat mats.

Is this a recipe for disaster or can I add air vents on the sides and a heater without any negative effects on the Ts?

As you can see, the cabinet is in a recess/alcove/whatever that space is called. My biggest fear is lack of ventilation but please let me know if you can see any issues I can't...

Hoping maybe some of you have done this and I'm worrying about nothing. Any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks people!

20210109_231545.jpg 20210109_231602.jpg

Almadabes

Arachnoknight
I have seen an example or two on here, can't find the threads at the moment.

You can add ventilation by drilling holes in the sides of the cabinet.
it'll look weird if you ever want to use it as a regular curio again but if you're going to dedicate it for them, it makes sense.

I don't know what would be best for heating. You could always test it out with empty but furnished enclosures and see how the temp and moisture in the soil hold up.
Since this is multi-teired you might see slightly different temps from top to bottom.

Generally, with lights inside the box - you want LEDs so they do not add additional heat. - but it could be negligible depending on the light and ventilation.

Many people create nurseries for their slings in the winter by sticking the sling vials in a heated enclosure and I imagine the Idea is relatively the same, just on a larger scale.

Caretaker

Arachnopeon
I've been thinking about the possibility of a similar cabinet set up . You may even get enough heat from incandescent bulbs on each shelves and adding thin Styrofoam sheeting for insulation? That was my thinking or perhaps a small shallow aquarium or some such filled with water and an aquarium heater with thermostat for heat and humidity?

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I think there are heating cables/tape suitable for heating reptile racks that you could adapt. But have to be run with a thermostat for safety. Though to use any heating source in a confined space, you'll need to thoroughly research how best to go about it.

There is a lot of ventilation already at the doors, as they aren't airtight. I have a similar cabinet with t's that I haven't added extra ventilation. However, in my case the cabinet isn't heated.

It would be easy to improve on the ventilation to avoid overheating and allowing heat to travel up and escape by drilling some vents at the bottom and top, on the back of the cabinet opposite the doors.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I'd drop a fan or two on the top. Preferably 2, 1 pushing, 1 pulling and I'd replace the glass shelves with something you can put holes into so you can circulate the entire cabinet. If the fans are near each edge and air can run down and up the sides you should get good flow

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
I run quite a few heat mats for my roach bins, and have yet to run into an issue with them overheating with both a basic and advanced thermostat. The main thing you will want to get is a good surge protector like APC. The radiator using 1k+ watts to heat the entire room? Heat matts will run 10watts for about a 11x23 inch. Also one opening for good ventilation does not make. Cross ventilation. Always make sure your GFCIs are in good working order.