Tarantula breeding question...

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
So I have an adult A. Chalcodes that has not molted in atleast 1.5 years (previous owner had her that long and said no molt), she is around 5” DLS. Should I wait another molt before trying to breed her or give it a shot and hope she doesn’t molt before laying? What are the risks? Just have to pair again? She could take another year or more before molting. I want to breed her because it seems to be a good species to get experience with breeding and I want to learn the process.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
If I'm not mistaken this species can go 5+ years in between moults as adults. I'd say you don't have a lot to lose if you try breeding her, but then again I'm not a breeder.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
If I'm not mistaken this species can go 5+ years in between moults as adults. I'd say you don't have a lot to lose if you try breeding her, but then again I'm not a breeder.
I may give it a shot. I want to gain the experience and think this would be a great species to start. Just gotta find a male.

Seems to not be a lot of info on breeding this species. My guess is they stay in the hobby from WC Gravid females? Only could find a few breeding reports and they are not very detailed. I always love a good challenge. :smirk:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So I have an adult A. Chalcodes that has not molted in atleast 1.5 years (previous owner had her that long and said no molt), she is around 5” DLS. Should I wait another molt before trying to breed her or give it a shot and hope she doesn’t molt before laying? What are the risks? Just have to pair again? She could take another year or more before molting. I want to breed her because it seems to be a good species to get experience with breeding and I want to learn the process.
As said, no need to wait. 1,5 years is nothing for adult females of this genus. I have bred G rosea females that have not moulted in 3 years

I have not bred this speicies but i guess they are pretty unproblematic. I have no idea of the time it takes from.mating to egglaying? Some speicies lays eggs within a month after mating, others goes many, many month before laying. A tip though. When egglaying is imminent, moist the sub and decrease ventilation a little. You dont want the eggsack to dry out. I am not sure about the incubation time for this speicies, but generally, i have always took out and opend the sac after a month.

Many years since i last mated any tarantulas. Posts like these makes me wanna breed again! Good luck!🙂

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Seems to not be a lot of info on breeding this species. My guess is they stay in the hobby from WC Gravid females? Only could find a few breeding reports and they are not very detailed. I always love a good challenge. :smirk:
Unfortunately I'd have to say yes on that. A lot of this species are WC.

cold blood

Staff member
Theyre bred often enough. typically they drop sacs in spring, after a winter cooling period.

@ErinM31 has bred them successfully a couple time i believe...and i believe they were her first breeding project.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
This is a general approach that seems to work for most Aphonopelma species, as well as species from other Genera. It's general and not very detailed, but it will give you a place to start and focus your attentions.

Hopefully, your tarantula does its winter torpor period.

When the spider comes up out of Winter Torpor, bring "The Spring" for a period 14 to 21 days...followed by a period of increased feeding and an abundance of food...then carefully introduce the male.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
This is a general approach that seems to work for most Aphonopelma species, as well as species from other Genera. It's general and not very detailed, but it will give you a place to start and focus your attentions.

Hopefully, your tarantula does its winter torpor period.

When the spider comes up out of Winter Torpor, bring "The Spring" for a period 14 to 21 days...followed by a period of increased feeding and an abundance of food...then carefully introduce the male.
Is this truly needed? I have never cooled any of my inverts. But I have never bred Tarantulas.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Is this truly needed? I have never cooled any of my inverts. But I have never bred Tarantulas.
A lot of the Aphonopelma species have a winter period of inactivity...A. chalcodes, A. hentzi and several others, native to the Desert South West. The big thing, that I feel is more important, is to bring the spring...ie a period of moisture...followed by a period of increased feeding...then the introduction of the male and the attempts at mating.

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens has a reputation as a male killer, during breeding...I think a lot of that reputation is undeserved and due to people not bringing the spring into their program. At least that is my thoughts...give me a year or two and I'll be more definitive in my position.

Last edited:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes good point of the bass fisherman! Some tarantulas from temperate habitat will benefit ftom a cooling period!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Depends on the species. Those from fluctuating temperate zones will likely need it, while those in more tropical zones - with a more constant temperature throughout the year - will not.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
F92AECDA-A4A1-4119-B171-3C14EA0073A7.jpeg
Here’s one of my Aphonopelma hentzi females coming out of torpor and tunneling to the surface.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I think so, yes. All my Aphonopelma are in tune with the seasons due my apartment being poorly insulated and they go through a period of little to know eating or growth for several months during the winter period. I paired two A. chalcodes females in a summer (one in July and one in August) and both dropped sacs some time over the winter or early the following spring (they sealed themselves away and I was trying minimal interference). I have a thread here where I detail the pairings, their subsequent behavior, hatching of the slings, etc. :happy:

Sorry for the late reply! Somehow I missed the notification last month! :shy: