Tarantula bite vs Centipede bite

Reapingdreams

Arachnopeon
Hello all :),
I had a quick question about my Centipedes and I thought this would probably be the best place to ask. I've owned a few Scolopendra Polymorpha and recently I've been thinking about getting a Tarantula and before doing so I wanted to ask if the bite from one of my Centipedes would be worse or not as bad as a bite from a Tarantula. By worse I mean which one would hurt more? and which is more like to cause death or have long lasting effects?
Thank you, Erick

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, starting from the point that, since 1994 (the year where I've started to keep Arachnids) so far, 2017, never been tagged by a Theraphosidae (but by a 'normal' spider yes, lol) mark my words because I will take, if forced (dunno, like in a sort of perverted and sick 'Saw' movie game) a bite from my female P.murinus anytime rather than a bite from my S.subspinipes... that btw, according to rumors, caused a fatality in the Philippines.

With that said, no Theraphosidae venom is powerful enough to cause long lasting effects* let alone death in an adult (and supposed healthy) man. While, on the other hand, the same statement is valid for Asian Scolopendridae those lasts venom isn't a joke at all.

About S.polymorpha, however, from what I know those aren't nowhere near their Asian counterparts. As for the Theraphosidae you plan to buy... depends.
You want to buy a genus Poecilotheria? In this case the spider "win". You plan to buy a genus Grammostola? Stronger the centipede one :)

* I remember that I was talking with Storm76, time ago, about C.fimbriatus venom and he said that a man, after a bite, reported heart issues after some time, still nothing serious. Anyway a grey zone, with too much to consider and add, like third world hospitals, age, other diseases etc

Reapingdreams

Arachnopeon
Well, starting from the point that, since 1994 (the year where I've started to keep Arachnids) so far, 2017, never been tagged by a Theraphosidae (but by a 'normal' spider yes, lol) mark my words because I will take, if forced (dunno, like in a sort of perverted and sick 'Saw' movie game) a bite from my female P.murinus anytime rather than a bite from my S.subspinipes... that btw, according to rumors, caused a fatality in the Philippines.

With that said, no Theraphosidae venom is powerful enough to cause long lasting effects* let alone death in an adult (and supposed healthy) man. While, on the other hand, the same statement is valid for Asian Scolopendridae those lasts venom isn't a joke at all.

About S.polymorpha, however, from what I know those aren't nowhere near their Asian counterparts. As for the Theraphosidae you plan to buy... depends.
You want to buy a genus Poecilotheria? In this case the spider "win". You plan to buy a genus Grammostola? Stronger the centipede one :)

* I remember that I was talking with Storm76, time ago, about C.fimbriatus venom and he said that a man, after a bite, reported heart issues after some time, still nothing serious. Anyway a grey zone, with too much to consider and add, like third world hospitals, age, other diseases etc
Thank you for the Reply :) the Tarantula I was thinking about was actually Grammostola pulchripes

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Thank you for the Reply :) the Tarantula I was thinking about was actually Grammostola pulchripes
Well, you can't go wrong with one of those (if a female, better). Definitely will hurt more the S.polymorpha venom, IMO :-s

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Yep, centipede would probably win in the venom department, although a full grown G. pulchripes would do a lot more mechanical damage. Great choice btw! Love G. pulchripes :D

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Go with a Grammostola Pulchra, so nice looking and usually very docile with minimal venom potency.