Tarantula and Crested Gecko neighbors

NewTguy

Arachnosquire
I currently have an adult female B. albopilosum that is housed in 5.5G glass aquarium. I'm planning to get a crested gecko that will also be housed in a glass aquarium, that I plan to set next to my T's enclosure.

My question is, will having the two glass enclosures next to each other, where the T and the gecko can see each other, cause stress to either animal, or will it not matter, or even be a positive thing? If it will be a problem I will just cover the side glass to block visibility.

cold blood

Staff member
As long as there isnt a heat lamp blaring onto your t enclosure you will be fine. Tarantulas have terrible vision...lol

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Nope, when my corn snake was still a smol noodle I used to keep her right next to my AF A. geniculata (both in modded aquariums), never had an issue.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Tarantulas have terrible eyesight. They rely on other sensory input - such as vibration - to tell what's going on around them. Your tarantula is unlikely to see the gecko at all, so putting up anything to block visibility will have no effect for the spider.

I've never kept crested geckos before, so I don't know whether it would perceive the spider as a potential threat or not. Geckos do have excellent eyesight - but there will also be two layers of glass between the two. I rather doubt that it would be a problem for the gecko. When we've had day geckos housed next to spiders, they've carried on as if the spiders weren't even there.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I'm going to be so bold to say that tarantulas have eyesight good enough to see shadows and possibly the outlines of objects within their field of view. Arboreal tarantulas, being oriented vertically, should be able to see outward compared to the fossorial tarantulas that have a field of view directed upward. Either way you look at it, tarantulas would be able to detect movement from above, behind, and in front of them with their eyes.

The difficult, if not impossible, aspect to determine would be if a Brachypelma albopilosum could see a crested gecko, and if so, would it be bothered enough to show it. And for the gecko, would it show behavior that indicates it could see the tarantula and consider it lunch or a threat.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I currently have an adult female B. albopilosum that is housed in 5.5G glass aquarium. I'm planning to get a crested gecko that will also be housed in a glass aquarium, that I plan to set next to my T's enclosure.

My question is, will having the two glass enclosures next to each other, where the T and the gecko can see each other, cause stress to either animal, or will it not matter, or even be a positive thing? If it will be a problem I will just cover the side glass to block visibility.
I have T's in the same room as five geckos. I suggest being cautious in a number of ways that has nothing to do with line-of-sight:

1) Don't put them right beside each other. If a NW T decides to spread its urticating hair it could end up in your gecko enclosure, which is a problem. People are *very* naive as to how far these hairs blow around, and a crested gecko's eyes are ripe to be irritated by them if it were to come into contact.

2) Don't share tongs between them, or cage furniture. Same reason.

NewTguy

Arachnosquire
I have T's in the same room as five geckos. I suggest being cautious in a number of ways that has nothing to do with line-of-sight:

1) Don't put them right beside each other. If a NW T decides to spread its urticating hair it could end up in your gecko enclosure, which is a problem. People are *very* naive as to how far these hairs blow around, and a crested gecko's eyes are ripe to be irritated by them if it were to come into contact.

2) Don't share tongs between them, or cage furniture. Same reason.
Wow, thats a great point, I never would have thought of that. Thanks!

ThatsUnpossible

Arachnosquire
Dark Den posted a video on IG the other day, showing his gecko stalking a tarantula (t was in a glass tank, not in danger). It was quite comical.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm going to be so bold to say that tarantulas have eyesight good enough to see shadows and possibly the outlines of objects within their field of view.
I can confirm your thought will my experiences with arboreal, both NW and OW. They can definitely see what you wrote.