tarantula ambassadors

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Today, I took an A versicolor adult female, and a G pulchra adult female to my daughter's school. I gave a short 5 minute talk, and got them both out, and showed them to the kids. Surprisingly, every 2nd grader there thought they were really cool, and not one of them was scared, or thought they were 'yucky'.
Shelby held the versi too...
Interestingly enough, some older kids came by before school started, and they were more scared and disgusted. One girl told me she wanted to throw up LOL
If you start them young enough though, they find it fascinating!
Both Ts behaved impeccably, sitting very still...it was really cool!

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
very cool. my 3 year old sister is enfatuated with spiders thanks to me.lol the other day as i was feeding my T.blondi, she even said "careful shes going to kick hairs at you!" shes anxious to hold my sweet little rose hair, but im waiting a couple more years for that.:D

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think younger children are more open-minded to such things. But the young girls are the most open minded. When I brought my T to the school where I was teaching (for my education, I think it's called internship in english), the children of about 12-13 years were really interested, and all but two (boys ofcourse) had my little rosie walking over their hands. The older children were much more afraid. But the most afraid were the other teachers, typical...:)
greetz,
Joost

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I'd have to agree on this Arachnojoost, my 3 year old daughter is in love with spiders, it's all she'll talk about when she's here. She can't wait to go see the 'Spider man' again. (Art Cerda, whom I will not force to go through a 3 year old in a room full of kneelevel inverts ever again) She keeps asking if she can pet the smithi, since I told her it doesn't bite me, but I told her not until she's 5.

On the other hand, I had a friends 4 year old son over not too long ago. He was terrified of them and kept asking his mother to squash them. Perhaps it's more the parent than the child that make's the invert lover at a young age? :)

Bill

P.S. - sticking to the thread, I think It's great that you take T's into your little girl's classroom, Holley. She's lucky to have such a great mom ;)

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hi

i have 7 other brothers and sisters!! and they all hate spiders, and always threaten to kill it, i think that it is really awsome how you brought that spider to shelby's school. I cant believe she is not afraid to hold your T's, i still didint even hold my pinktoe! My teachers and friends think i am crazy, and really stupid, but i still love my 8 legged friends!!!!

James

P.S- if only people knew how great these animals are! If only!:p =D ;P

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Re: hi

Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
P.S- if only people knew how great these animals are! If only!:p =D ;P
Nah, there really isn't the supply to support a much larger hobby. Do you want to pay $75 for that sling? ;) While this is probably before your time in some ways, and way ahead of your time in others, think of the cigar craze that went through the U.S. in the mid 90s. Cigars, at lease imo, are great and wonderful and all those things you associate with Ts. But they also require a lot of care in the tobacco production, rolling, storage, etc. You can't really mass produce a good cigar. The end result of the craze was that prices sky rocketed, a lot of formerly good smokes dropped in quality either because the manufacturers were just capitalising on the name or could no longer get sufficient quantities of certain grades of tobacco. Now the market seems to have largely stabilised again, but prices are still twice what they used to be and will likely stay that way because a lot of the people who started smoking cigars because of the craze actually stayed with the hobby and they never knew anything different.

Some things are best left a niche hobby.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
never thought of that code monkey, good point. damn i hope there isnt a T craze:eek:

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cigars aren't good for T's

Nicotine is an insectoside

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Re: Cigars aren't good for T's

Originally posted by chaset
Nicotine is an insectoside[sic]
Your point is?

I didn't see anyone here suggesting we get the Ts to smoke them.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Funny timing Holley

Hey Holley,

I just got a call from the school tonight. Seems a neighborhood kid was telling his teacher about my T's and they are studying spiders right now. She called me tonight and wants me to come in on Monday and bring in some of my T's. MISS Frieze... I hope she's cute and responds to my drumming on her desk.

Botar

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
LOL Botar :)
you must first educate her in the Way of the Tarantula for that to work ;)
Shelby's first grade teacher saw us in the hall before class, and booked me for coming in to her classroom next Monday, for a presentation to her 1st graders! We may just have to take this show on the road!

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm just hoping to escape her clutches after copulation.

You never know... I may make the public schools lecture circuit here. My price is right, that's for sure.

Botar

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
You better keep your palp in your pants or they'll arrest you.... ;P

Scott