tarantula afraid of pinkie/fuzzy mice??

eporter

Arachnopeon
I know most of you here don't advocate the use of mice for calcium reasons. but i thought that a fuzzy mouse soon after a mature molt might be a good idea due to nutrients and he is big enough for one now. (my rosie quincy) but what i discovered was that he was rather put off by it. He was climbing the walls, curling up in a little ball in the courner, and the one time that the little mouse flailed its way underneath the spider, the spider got up on its very tippy toes to stay away from it. After 30 minutes of this i decided that it was too musch torture for either of them (though admitedly kinda funny) and removed the mouse....sooooo, was wondering if that was normal? he had never gotten a mouse before to my knowledge, so maybe he didn't know what to do with it? rosie's don't like mice? you have to introduce meat in a specific way? :? input would be appreciated:worship:

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's very normal for a mature male to refuse food, regardless of what kind it is.

eporter

Arachnopeon
ahhhh, i see, so a cricket or two once a month would be better at the moment. Thanks!!

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A cricket a WEEK would be better all around. Mice are not needed as a feeder.

eporter

Arachnopeon
that seems so odd, but i will abide by the advice of people that have waaayyyy more experience then i do. thank you for putting up with my unexperienced questions :worship:

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
that seems so odd, but i will abide by the advice of people that have waaayyyy more experience then i do. thank you for putting up with my unexperienced questions :worship:
No, thank YOU for actually taking the advice without getting angry:). Thanks for the civilaty.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The biggest issue is not calcium, there are wrong nutrients and proteins in mice and also to much fat.

Last edited:

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The reason they say that it pushes your mature male closer to death if you feed it more is because when he is eating lots his metabolism will be working faster and harder. After his ultimate molt his days are numbered no matter what, but you can have longer to enjoy him if you let his body just work nice and slow. If he is near any heat source, you could also move him away from that to keep him a couple degrees cooler than normal. Warmer tarantulas grow faster, mature faster...and die faster.

Knight in Gale

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How soon after his molt? Perhaps his fangs were not hardend yet. But yeah no need to feed mice. Crickets and roaches work fine.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The reason they say that it pushes your mature male closer to death if you feed it more is because when he is eating lots his metabolism will be working faster and harder. After his ultimate molt his days are numbered no matter what, but you can have longer to enjoy him if you let his body just work nice and slow. If he is near any heat source, you could also move him away from that to keep him a couple degrees cooler than normal. Warmer tarantulas grow faster, mature faster...and die faster.

Knight in Gale
It get pushed to its death whenever its a male, female, juvenile ect.