Tarantula abdomen

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Yes. Stop messing with it and it’ll stop kicking so much hair.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
They kick hairs at perceived threats and/or shed them around the enclosure as a defense mechanism.

The hairs grow back with each molt.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Yes, just bald from kicking hairs, they mostly do this at perceived threats but will also kick off hairs around their burrows/hides to deter any potential intruders.

Clamcooker

Arachnopeon
The only time I open the lid is to water and feed it. I never mess with it. I don’t know why it’s kicking off hairs.

It has nothing to hide under and has one inch of coco fiber in the bottom of its Home.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
The only time I open the lid is to water and feed it. I never mess with it. I don’t know why it’s kicking off hairs.
Tarantulas can kick hairs whenever they want too. It's not always a stress or defensive reason as to why they kick hairs. Tarantulas can just kick hairs on a whim if they feel like it. This is nothing to worry about.

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
It has nothing to hide under and has one inch of coco fiber in the bottom of its Home.
You need to add more substrate. They usually want to burrow at this size, so that would explain the stressful hair kicking. A hide would be much appreciated too. Some will stay out in the open anyway but they still need the option to hide.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Can you please post pictures of the entire enclosure this does not sound ideal or correct

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
That's no good at all, you need at least a few inches of dry substrate, a hide, and a water dish.

Your setup should look more like this (the fake plant is optional, she had more but she ripped up the rest).

DSC_0001.jpg DSC_0002.jpg DSC_0003.jpg