Tappi Question

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I'm receiving 2 Tappies (cupreus and pulmipes) on Friday. From what I understood, they prefer to sit and hide in the low to middle part of the container like a Pokie or a Psalmopoeus. I have heard the contrary lately, that they sit high and nest like an Avic. Which is it? I set up two containers with top opening lids, but I don't want something sitting under the lid, ready to fly out as soon as I open it.
I have a few days to convert if I need to, so Tappi owners, which is it?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
My violaceus has a burrow with dirtcurtains reaching up to halfway her bark. It looks similar to the construction my P.pulchers made. I keep her larger than recommended to allow for some 'flying space' :D
It also helps that her enclosure is front-opening, well, it helps a little, since she does laps anyway, but usually stays near her nest which is at the far end of the enclosure.
@awiec knows more i believe :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks
You're welcome!
If you do plan on using a top opening enclosure, be careful. Despite their halfway-on-the-bark nests, mine always shoots up first before doing horizontal laps.
I've had her in a round top opening enclosure....that was not a good idea. Instead of a lightening bolt i had a tornado coming towards the lid :D

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I took that into consideration. On the fast arboreals, I use snapware containers. They cost a few dollars more but have a hinged lid instead of just the screw off one. It has worked well with my H mac who thought the lid getting unscrewed was just an invitation to come out. I can quietly lift the lid and they are usually undisturbed. If I need to close it quickly, it's much easier to snap it shut.

http://www.containerstore.com/s/rectangular-snapware-containers/d?productId=10006901&q=snapware

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
My Tapi sling is kinda... both? It has a burrow in the substrate that it spends most of its time in, but it has produced extensive webbing throughout the rest of the enclosure, even more than my Avic.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I'm receiving 2 Tappies (cupreus and pulmipes) on Friday. From what I understood, they prefer to sit and hide in the low to middle part of the container like a Pokie or a Psalmopoeus. I have heard the contrary lately, that they sit high and nest like an Avic. Which is it? I set up two containers with top opening lids, but I don't want something sitting under the lid, ready to fly out as soon as I open it.
I have a few days to convert if I need to, so Tappi owners, which is it?
I am not an expert, but have quite a few in several species. I have provided all of the slings an angled cork bark slab and lots of fake plants. Every one of them has started out on the back angle underneath the cork bark. That is where I first see web appear. Most of them have then expanded upward into the greenery. None of mine started out high in the cup. I recently got a female Tapi cupreus juvenile. The same thing has happened. She has started low beside the cork bark in a large arboreal enclosure.

EDIT* I think T. Gigas may build a little higher sometimes because mine have stretched their nest upward more than the other Tapi's. I also see them near the lid more. But they usually move down in the cup or sit very still and don't move when I open the lid. I have never had one bolt out of my 32 oz cups that I used on the early ones. I now use cereal containers for my new Tapi slings.

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
I keep T.gigas, which are the largest and most defensive of the genus so your millage may vary as mine like to bite and run at the same time. What I do is keep them in top opening containers as they do like to lap around (they will sit under the lid too if they are feeling extra sassy). Mine like to create a tunnel and dirt curtain system like pokies, so I provide several inches of sub and some cork and then they do as they see fit. Several of mine stay in a tunnel while others have the whole container webbed up ala an Avic but generally prefer to retreat towards the bottom of the cage. I always give them extra room as you will appreciate it when you upset them and they are lapping around.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I took that into consideration. On the fast arboreals, I use snapware containers. They cost a few dollars more but have a hinged lid instead of just the screw off one. It has worked well with my H mac who thought the lid getting unscrewed was just an invitation to come out. I can quietly lift the lid and they are usually undisturbed. If I need to close it quickly, it's much easier to snap it shut.

http://www.containerstore.com/s/rectangular-snapware-containers/d?productId=10006901&q=snapware
I bought some of those same containers after your recommendation a while back. They would be perfect for a Tapi.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I had a funny but scary incident with a Tapi. Sp. Colombia sling last night. Sometimes I struggle to find the Tapi slings in the enclosures. I think they are masters of disguise with the way they create their nests and stay very still when they know you are looking for them.

I was doing my feeding and water maintenance for a bunch of T's. On this container I couldn't see the T. I noticed the water dish was almost empty and contained a little substrate. I used my tongs to remove the vial from the enclosure and placed it in a clear flared cup that I was using to gather dirty water vials and waste. Later in the evening I was cleaning up when I suddenly see a 2.5" tarantula spread out on the side of this cup. I then panic because I have already put my catch cups back in the other room.:banghead: I come back fast as I can and the T is gone. I immediately go into border control to seal the bathroom door base and started moving things. After a few minutes of fear and frustration, I look down in the waste cup and my tapi is inside the 2.5 dram water vial (that I removed from its enclosure). Ooops :rolleyes: