Tapinauchenius sp. rasti information wanted.

mgrunge1967

Arachnopeon
I am interested in a T. rasti and I am trying to research before deciding to buy, but coming up short. I expect, and am comfortable with lightning fast. I am curious if anyone can shed light on temperament, and reclusiveness. Can I expect to see it during the day as an adult (even if only 10% of the time)? How does it compare to T. gigas? I am trying to figure out if there are temperament/reclusiveness differences like how the P. cambridgei is different from the P. Irminia.

I saw a previous thread with some mixed reactions between saying Tapinauchenius were just fast and lack defensiveness, to a statement that the T. rasti was even crankier than a Psalmopoeus, so I am looking for some thoughts. My P. Irminia has been uncharacteristically chill for the short time that I have had her, and while being secretive, she has yet to flinch at any disturbance this far.

Thank you!

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Temperaments can always vary with different individuals, but generally they are pretty skittish.Not sure I understand the rest of your question, as far as seeing them goes...yes, you should see them fairly regularly if you're capable of sneaking a look without spooking them.

mgrunge1967

Arachnopeon
Thank you for the response! What I meant by visibility, was daytime visibility. My Ts are in my home office where I quietly work, and I am wondering if I might be able to spot it out in daytime hours for 10 minutes or so a day. My P. irminia only comes out to sit at night (which I knew when getting her, so no regrets).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's an exceedingly fast genus, considered the fastest my many. if you are fine w/that, get one.

mgrunge1967

Arachnopeon
The speed definitely doesn’t bother me. Thank you! Do you have any experience with the sp. visibility?

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine hides most of the time behind some cork bark that she decorated with a web and dirt curtain (similar to what Psalmopoeus sp. build). When I see her out she bolts back to her hide at the slightest movement which is a shame because I don't have any decent picture of her and a freshly molted T. rasti is in my opinion one of the best looking tarantula in the hobby.
I rarely peek inside a tarantula hide but for my T. rasti after a long period with no signs of activity I felt the need to have a look to make sure she's still alive.
All the Pseudoclamoris (ex Tapinauchenius) gigas that I owned were a lot more visible.

They don't get very big but are good eaters and they molt quite often. I've never seen a threat pose from this girl which I do see quite often from Psalmopoeus sp. (especially P. irminia).
It used to be known in the hobby as Tapinauchenius sp. Caribean Diamond or sp. Union Island, you'll find more info searching by those names.

I only have one specimen that I raised from sling and who's now an adult female behavior can be different between individuals.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Thank you for the response! What I meant by visibility, was daytime visibility. My Ts are in my home office where I quietly work, and I am wondering if I might be able to spot it out in daytime hours for 10 minutes or so a day. My P. irminia only comes out to sit at night (which I knew when getting her, so no regrets).
Yeah thats pretty typical with most arboreals, you may catch them out during the day but a lot less then dawn and nightfall.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I have a subadult male, he was skittish until he put on some size but he's crankier than all of my Psalmos (except for maybe victori) now. When I had a cork tube hide in with mine I hardly saw him but since I swapped to a half tube I see him out often enough (sometimes during the day, usually morning/evening though).

They are stupidly fast.

View media item 67677

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Mine seems to be a bit of an anomaly, but she is quite calm and very visible. She barely flinches if I pick up her enclosure and move it, and isn't super shy about light. If I use my macro ring, she slowly walks away and won't stand still for long, but that is very bright and most of the spiders hate it.

As others have noted, they are incredibly fast. Amazing hunters. Because of their speed, and because individuals can vary, make sure you're cautious and deliberate when feeding and maintaining. Speed an unpredictability can be a handful.

I encourage you to get one. Mine was a surprise freebie, and she is one of my favourite Ts.