Tapinauchenius sp. question!

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have been wanting to get a Tapinauchenius Gigas or Plumipes. I have heard they are quick, but are they aggressive and/or prone to biting? If anyone is familiar with them, let me know.

Thanks

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I only have a little T gigas. (almost 2") No attitude as of yet but from what I understand from when I was researching, they can be nervous and defensive as adults. As far as speed goes, I was told that even Pokies aren't a match for a tap on the run! Already my little one has demonstrated it's teleportation abilities. Should be a pretty fun specie as it grows.
Depending on your experience with fast arboreals, I don't think they're too much of a handfull to consider keeping. I think mine's going to be worth every minute. They are stunning as s'lings and definitely as adults!
Good luck with your choice. :)

Atrax

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Juvenile T. gigas tend to be more likely to rear up... But adults of both are fairly skittish without the rearing/biting. My T. pupureus is a sweetie. As a rule, the bigger they are, the more laid back.

I wouldn't trust one to handle like I would some species of Avicularia, though.

bill

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by SpiderTwin
I have been wanting to get a Tapinauchenius Gigas or Plumipes. I have heard they are quick, but are they aggressive and/or prone to biting? If anyone is familiar with them, let me know.

Thanks
I've never seen anything remotely aggressive from my T. gigas or T. purpureus. The latter is pretty laid back; the former is very fast and nervous but invariably runs for cover when startled rather than trying to bite.

Joy

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the info everyone, I appreciate the imput. The Tap's are great looking T's, and I want some other arboreals other than Avic's. I will keep me eye out for one at a good price.